Getting little one's into hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banerbird

Reaction score
Banerbird

that is so awesome to see you and the little one all bundled up

Im 31 and my wife and i are expecting our 1st in july

i cannot wait to start buying hunting stuff for the little one

i am already looking for a winchester model 21 for him or her

Thanks Rolex Dr.

Tell me about thinking about stuff for her. I've already thought about getting a 20" barrell for my Encore in 7mm-08 or something with little kick. And a youth ML shooting a light load for max 100yds. I started with single shots, and plan on doing the same with her. My dad always told me "If you have time for 3-4 shots, then you have time for one good one."

I think the guns will have to wait a few years though. The one thing I've been having no luck finding is blaze orange gear for infants. So my wife bought a $5 vest and modified it to fit her. I'm sure I'll be spending a lot more money on her (and any future kids) than myself in the not so far future. She really enjoys being outside, so hopefully......

i am the same way my daughter is almost 2 and the second girl is due in 35days. i read every topic anybody posts about good youth ml's. a little early i know but passing on our passion of the sport to our children is the only way to keep our sport safe. just like my dad and great uncle did for me and i am helping now with my little brothers and soon enough my girls!

My 4 year old boy has been deer hunting a few times with me this year. We hunted out of a blind and a box stand. He loved watching the deer, turkey, squirrels and an armadillo (that I shot).

It will be another few years before he'll be shooting, but the experience is good for him. His two year old brother would like to go, but will have to wait a couple of years.

Kids

My daughter has been in hunting camp since she was a baby. She knows gun safety and has been taught respect for guns since a baby. Started her on a BB gun w/ a target in the basement. Only shoots w/ adult around. She is 9 now, shhots pellet gun, has her own shot gun, 22 and will be trying a small load ML this year. She also wants to bow. She will be in the buddie tree stands w/ me next year. Just take them in the woods, teach respect for animals, guns and people. She has always taken a cheapo camera w/us as well. If she can get close enough w/ that to take a picture, she can certainly get close enough to shoot. Oh and take lot's of food and snacks!!

I've been asking my dad how he did things with me. He started me out at 3.5 months. Bundled me up, grabbed the diaper bag and bottles and away we went. I'm 33 now and haven't missed a deer season yet. He started letting me shoot a shotgun at 7 years old and I slowly progressed from year to year. It started with me holding the gun and he had the shells, then i had one shell and he had the rest, and so on. I eventually took a hunter's safety course, I think he wanted to make sure I understood everything he taught me.

So now it's my turn. I wish I could have taken her out more, but the weather didn't permit it a whole lot. Either way, I'm loving every minute of it.

Here are a few pics of bow and gun seasons. Me, her, Grandpa, and Great Uncle.

peanut_50.jpg
peanut_48.jpg

peanut_47.jpg
peanut_49.jpg

That bottom picture on the bottom left reminds me of me and my 15 month little boy. You sure can't beat them columbia camo body suits for them they sure keep them warm.

Back