Getting serious

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregsalmon

Reaction score
Had a ML years ago. Looking to get into it again. Wondering what people consider the be the "state of the art" muzzleloader legal to use in Washington.

Welcome to the Forum!! I am a Sidelock Muzzleloader Guy. Lot of knowledgeable folks on here to help get you going :yeah: By “State of the art” I would check out the Knight Ultra Light rifle

Thanks, forgot to mention I am thinking its going to need to shoot over 100 yards. Weight is not that important, want a fairly long barrel to get that sight radius and burn that powder. Hope that helps.

Saw something about Remington having a 300yd 200grain muzzleloader built on the model 700 platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gregsalmon said:
Thanks, forgot to mention I am thinking its going to need to shoot over 100 yards. Weight is not that important, want a fairly long barrel to get that sight radius and burn that powder. Hope that helps.

I am not familiar with Wa State Muzzleloading Laws? If it is like here in Idaho on Muzzleloader ONLY hunts, we can NOT use 209 Primers, Sabots, And Scopes (Basically everything that makes an inline so great in my opinion) This is why i Choose to use Sidelock Muzzleloaders with Fast Twist barrels for shooting full bore lead bullets. Do you plan to use this Muzzleloader during regular Firearm season, or Muzzleloader only hunts? What Caliber are you thinking? Can you legally hunt Elk with a .45 Cal there? If so, that is PRECISELY the Caliber I would get! If you can Hunt Elk with a .45 Cal i would SERIOUSLY look at the Knight Mountaineer 1:20 Twist, Here in Idaho we have a .50 Cal minimum on Elk.

Go down to the Sidelock Section here and watch some of my Videos, These Fast Twist Sidelock Muzzleloaders Shoot REALLY well :yeah: I have shot my 1:30 Twist .45 Cal Sidelock with Peep sights to 500 yards very accurately, I would not shoot at a Game animals that far, But 200, Even 300 yards is NOT difficult with these Fast Twist Sidelocks. 200 yards is my limit on shooting at Game with Open/Peep Sights, But my rifles are capable of MUCH MUCH farther distances. The only current production Fast Twist Sidelock that i am personally familiar with is the Lyman Great Plains Hunter Rifle 32” barrel, it comes in .50 and .54, I bought a Brand new one in 54 Cal, It shoots just as good as my Green Mountain Barreled TC’s

Without knowing the Muzzleloader Laws there, and your intentions of use? I am kinda shootin in the Dark, But You won’t go wrong with a Knight inline (I own a like new Knight MK-85, GREAT RIFLE!! But i stil prefer my Sidelocks :D ) Really depends on what you want/prefer

In April 2018, Washington State has passed through the ability to use modern 209 primers during standard muzzleloader seasons.

A muzzleloading shotgun or rifle must have a single or double barrel, rifled or smooth-bored A muzzleloading shotgun or rifle used for deer must be 40 caliber or larger Buckshot size #1 or larger may be used in a smoothbore of 60 caliber or larger for deer. A muzzleloading shotgun, rifle, or handgun used for all other big game must be 45 caliber or larger.

As in the past sabots are allowed Any type of projectile is allowed.

Sights must be open, peep, or of other open sight design Fiber optic sights are legal. Telescopic sights or sights containing glass are prohibited

So its basically all legal except no scopes and must be 40cal or larger for deer and 45cal or larger for everything else. Might want to double check if your looking at the Remington Ultimate since it uses a brass case and a Large rifle primer

It appears to be legal now
https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/regulations ... 14-060.pdf

Check out the new CVA's at muzzleloader.com. Best prices around and great service. I recently picked up a new accura v2 with the nitrade barrel. And while your at It grab a Blackhorn breech plug for which ever one you buy , if you do. Wa laws do allow most everything now but scopes and if you have a vison handicap you can get a free permit for that too.

With GM54s Post above, Me personally i would look VERY Closely at the Knight Mountaineer in .45 Caliber :yeah:

It appear Washington' regulations are very much the same as South Dakota. One difference is, we can use sight with glass, if they are non-magnified. Here i hunt with two different rifles, and i very much like the way they feel, and shoot. Both are light, and handy. Both feel very good in my hands, and shoulder quite nicely! These rifles have been carried many miles. Both rifles are accurate, plenty accurate for how the allowed sights, limit range.

One great hunting rifle is the Knight Ultra-light fitted with a peep sight. It sure is sweet.

One great hunting rifle is the Omega Dream Season, equipped with a 1X scope. It sure is sweet.

Back