Giv'em a try

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowanna

Stupidity knows no bounds but knows many people!
Supporting member
Reaction score
IMG_20231013_223103435.jpg
Got a box of these bad boys from Dave a few days ago. Range time in the mornin'.
I've never shot a lead round before just copper jacketed nor one this heavy. (460 grains, heaviest I've shot has been Fury 320's) Think I'll wear the heavy flannel tomorrow.

Also a little concerned about leading. How do I clean it out without using some kind of solvent other than elbow grease.

As long as they are under 1400fps you shouldn’t experience leading issues. With my 45 cal conicals I shoot up to 75gr of 777-3F. I haven’t checked my velocity in years but I think it’s around 1300fos.

For jacketed bullets I've been using 75g weighed (95v) 2f with excellent results, figured I'd start there. Velocity I'm not sure, been awhile since I've crono'd rounds but I'd guess 1500-1600fps out of my long (30") barrel from past measurements.

For jacketed bullets I've been using 75g weighed (95v) 2f with excellent results, figured I'd start there. Velocity I'm not sure, been awhile since I've crono'd rounds but I'd guess 1500-1600fps out of my long (30") barrel from past measurements.
I don’t think you’ll get that kind of velocity with the much heavier bullets you’re planning to shoot

Depends!
85gr Swiss FF is a pretty hot load. A few questions here.

What gun & approx twist?
What's your cleaning solution?
Do you use a jag or wire brush?
TC Renegade with Green Mountain 1-28'' twist barrel
I use M.A.P. cleaning solution. After that Hoppes No. 9, then Rem Oil
I use a nylon brush.

I chrono'd a heavy lead load awhile ago. The load was 120gV T7 2F and 54 cal 435gr Hornady Great Plains with a felt wad. Velocity was 1560 fps out of a Grn Moutain 28" barrel 1-28" LRH.

I shoot the Lyman version of the Hornady Plains. .50 caliber, and it drops from my mold at 400 grains. 70 grains of 3f Swiss and a .54 cal Ox Yoke lubed wad gets 1350 fps, chrono'd, from my 24 inch Firehawk. 1-38 twist b.t.w. The melt is plumb butter as recovered ones are generally an inch and a quarter across and smashed pretty flat. Dirty is hard on a bullet...
Zero leading and accuracy is superb. Like 10 in 2 inches at 100 yards. Comparable to some of my sabot loads actually.
Recoil is... ummm...noticeable. Calico is barely 7 pounds...

Well to answer the OP's question, if you get leading, use a bronze brush and a good solvent that removes lead. That's really the only way to remove it. If its in the rifling even a tight patch won't get it all out. You may see some flakes on the patch but it will still be in there. Keep your velocity down tho and you will be fine. Slow big lead is a deadly combination.

Latest posts

Back