TC New Englander newer member here........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking Rifle and nice site combo with the TC Peep and red fiber optic. Looks like they match up pretty well height wise and with the adjustments you have available with the peep sight you should be able to put together some nice groups if you can find the correct load. From what I can see in the TC Arms 1991 catalog, #18, looks like you have the TC # 7197 sight. Be glad you bought it when you did, Wild Willy is correct, if you can find one now on eBay they seem to run $150 used, $200 plus new... ( I tried to upload a picture of the catalog page with info but was not able to figure it out, uploaded to google pictures and amazon photo but ModernMuz would not accept either link, I'm new to this forum but think it should not be so difficult?? must be doing something wrong?)

Nice looking Rifle and nice site combo with the TC Peep and red fiber optic. Looks like they match up pretty well height wise and with the adjustments you have available with the peep sight you should be able to put together some nice groups if you can find the correct load. From what I can see in the TC Arms 1991 catalog, #18, looks like you have the TC # 7197 sight. Be glad you bought it when you did, Wild Willy is correct, if you can find one now on eBay they seem to run $150 used, $200 plus new... ( I tried to upload a picture of the catalog page with info but was not able to figure it out, uploaded to google pictures and amazon photo but ModernMuz would not accept either link, I'm new to this forum but think it should not be so difficult?? must be doing something wrong?)
When I first joined a few weeks ago I could post pictures of my ML. Now I am no longer able to view my pictures of those in my stored file in my desk top. My guess is it may be censored.

Peep sights act as what's called a pin hole lense, and actually improve your vision. The smaller the peep, the more effective the lense and the greater the depth of field (depth of field is the range of distances which are in focus on your retina - the photosensitive surface inside your eye) it provides.... but since smaller peeps let less light get to your eye, they aren't very effective in low light. However, even a ghost ring peep provides a small lense effect. The lense effect is a GREAT thing for us old guys.

The best way to use a peep is to mount it as close as possible to your eye, and to focus only on the front sight and the target. Your brain will subconsciously align your eye with the center of the peep, so there is no need to see it at all. That also helps us old timers because the closest thing we have to pay attention to is our front sight, and even our old tired eyes have enough depth of field to develop simultaneous sharp images of the front sight and the target.

Until red dot sights came along, ghost ring peep sights were the fastest on target of all sights, and that's why the military used them until red dot sights (some of them with integrated night vision devices) became sufficiently compact and rugged for military use - which is a very recent development. A ghost ring peep is as fast on target as a red dot sight, but it lacks the relative parallax freedom of red dots.

Skinner peeps are really low profile on a rifle, they are as rugged as you can get, they are fully adjustable, they offer a wide range of easily interchanged aperature sizes, and they look good on rifles. My Henry .45-70 lever-action carbine (home defense, timber hunting, and grizz protection) rifle wears one, and my Renegade will wear one as soon as I get it mounted. I could screw the Skinner peep into the mounting holes for the Renegade's stock rear sight, but I'm going to have the Renegade drilled and tapped to mount the Skinner peep with rear of the sight aligned with back of the breech plug so that it is very close to my eye.
Someone on the forum, maybe you? Explained the reason us seasoned folks see better in bright light is that the aperture of our eyeballs steps down giving us the greater depth of field.

Someone on the forum, maybe you? Explained the reason us seasoned folks see better in bright light is that the aperture of our eyeballs steps down giving us the greater depth of field.

That could be, cannot argue that overall. However, I can tell you with certainty that the brighter the light, the harder it is on this ole boy. Perhaps that's due to the fact that I have cateracts that's been taking its sweet time on just getting the heck over with. Insurance company will not pay until it gets worse. But all I can say is the range where I go faces the SW where the sun is an issue for many folks. It makes it very difficult to focus and get a good bead when shooting. Two days ago I was actually getting glare off of the blued barrel, if you can believe that.

With that said, I would reckon what the poster stated may be correct for most people.

Would have been somebody else that pointed it out, and they are right. However, as ETipp pointed out in his reply, as we get older there are other effects which make our eyes less effective than they used to be, and those things tend to dilute the advantages of bright light. For one thing, our retinas can't handle as much light as they used to. In addition, everybody develops at least some cloudiness in their lenses which scatters light and blurs images, many of us have floaters which scatter light, nothing in our brains works as well as it used to, and that includes the image processing parts of our brains, and so forth. Sometimes these effects are such that we actually have more trouble forming sharp images in bright light. Getting old ain't for sissies.....

Skinner peeps are readily available. Thompson Center

Williams make a ramp-mounted peep called the WGRS for many rifles, and I have them on a couple of in-lines. Adjustments are a little crude, but they are fully adjustable. They also make a peep with target knobs which has finer adjustments. Ecommerce
I saw them before. I am more interested in a tang peep or Ghost Ring. I have 4 Williams FP-Hawken sights for very accurate shooting. Now I want tank mounted ghost ring or peep on a couple of the T/C Renegades and NEers. If I have to purchase another FP-Hawken, I will.

Would have been somebody else that pointed it out, and they are right. However, as ETipp pointed out in his reply, as we get older there are other effects which make our eyes less effective than they used to be, and those things tend to dilute the advantages of bright light. For one thing, our retinas can't handle as much light as they used to. In addition, everybody develops at least some cloudiness in their lenses which scatters light and blurs images, many of us have floaters which scatter light, nothing in our brains works as well as it used to, and that includes the image processing parts of our brains, and so forth. Sometimes these effects are such that we actually have more trouble forming sharp images in bright light. Getting old ain't for sissies.....

Some very good information there ^^^^

Getting old is overrated. However, your last sentence is a good one.

I’ve been fortunate, had really great vision all of my life, 20/15 as a twenty year old. Only recently has it slipped a bit but still 20/20. I’m 76 years old and I just can’t see close up in dim light. Wearing cheaters now, etc. but yeah. Beats the alternative!

I’ve been fortunate, had really great vision all of my life, 20/15 as a twenty year old. Only recently has it slipped a bit but still 20/20. I’m 76 years old and I just can’t see close up in dim light. Wearing cheaters now, etc. but yeah. Beats the alternative!
I had to start wearing glasses early.... always been something of a bookworm, and near-sightedness runs in my family anyway. With glasses, though, I usually corrected to 20/15 or even 20/10, and I had phenomenal game eyes. Without glasses, I could usually see more up close than most people could see with a magnifier, which was wonderful for tying trout flies and precision machining. Those were the days.... Now, at 65, I have a big floater in my left eye which drives me NUTS, and the same eye has a tear duct problem which means that it's watering most of the time. My right eye is dry to the point that moving it actually distorts the eye, so I often have to wait and blink a few times to clear my vision before I can shoot. Very inconvenient, especially when hunting ducks.

After reviewing a lot of the info on this thread, I wanted to throw out a question regarding peep sights. I'm not keen on drilling a hole or holes into my TCs tang, so I fabricated a steel mount to sit a Williams WGRS Peep sight on. The fabricated mount would bolt onto the tang using the factory screws. I'm second guessing my mount idea due to potential for the tang to move when fired, causing the stock to crack. Anyone have any thoughts?

Attachments

• 16776104543736521852993330971238.jpg
    16776104543736521852993330971238.jpg
    606.2 KB · Views: 0
After reviewing a lot of the info on this thread, I wanted to throw out a question regarding peep sights. I'm not keen on drilling a hole or holes into my TCs tang, so I fabricated a steel mount to sit a Williams WGRS Peep sight on. The fabricated mount would bolt onto the tang using the factory screws. I'm second guessing my mount idea due to potential for the tang to move when fired, causing the stock to crack. Anyone have any thoughts?
Bed the tang and find a factory 3 hole tang.

I'm not keen on drilling a hole or holes into my TCs tang
Bedding the tang is a good idea. Also, Thompson Center made their tangs long and stout. Compared to a CVA or other import, it's about 3 times longer and when screwed into the stock with 2 screws, it is about 3 times stronger. I don't know if TC made it that way on purpose for tang sights. What I do know, is there are very few gun makers who made them that way. Pedersoli is the only other major gun maker I am aware of, who did make long strong tangs, with the exception of the Traditional Hunter Hawken. (Maybe another Pedersoli rifle I'm not aware of)

I'm thinking the best way to go is to find a replacement tang with the factory hole drilled. I never thought TC would be bought out and stop selling traditional muzzleloaders. They put out a great product with a great warranty.
I read a rumor which has someone or some company, buying T/C from Smith & Wesson.
I hope it's true, but I have my doubts.
One thing is for sure, I will never buy another Smith & Wesson product for what they did to Thompson Center.

I read a rumor which has someone or some company, buying T/C from Smith & Wesson.
I hope it's true, but I have my doubts.
One thing is for sure, I will never buy another Smith & Wesson product for what they did to Thompson Center.
Unless it’s an antique… triple locks, 38-44’s 1917’s, early M19, M14, 64, 65 & 66, M28 & 29, like that…

Latest posts

Back