Goex is Back

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually wait till I Am 5-10 lbs short of the maximum allowable then order a few pounds. Have lucked into quite a bit of older Goex over the last three years. When I shoot a few more pounds I will get 5 pounds of 3F Swiss for a gun that shoots it particularly well.

I haven't used Goex in quite a few years. Of course, I haven't used any black powder in a looong time lol! Since I got back into it I have used Grafs brand and Swiss. I'd love to get some of this new Goex and see how it compares. The Graf powder is really dirty, I don't remember the old Goex being that dirty.

I have shot about every powder made since the 60s. In my photo above on the right side is a red can with a faded label. It is Hodgdon labeled powder made in Scotland. It is by far the dirtiest powder I have ever shot by a wide margin. I will never put it in another gun and will probably destroy it rather than shoot it. Lots of folks talk about older Goex powders being dirty but I don't find it any harder to clean than Swiss or Goex Olde Eynsford. Those two are quite a bit more energetic, however I enjoy shooting them all>

I have shot about every powder made since the 60s. In my photo above on the right side is a red can with a faded label. It is Hodgdon labeled powder made in Scotland. It is by far the dirtiest powder I have ever shot by a wide margin. I will never put it in another gun and will probably destroy it rather than shoot it. Lots of folks talk about older Goex powders being dirty but I don't find it any harder to clean than Swiss or Goex Olde Eynsford. Those two are quite a bit more energetic, however I enjoy shooting them all>
I'm definitely looking forward to trying some Goex again. Never knew about Olde Eynsford. Hope they make that too.

I read in another post somewhere of someone shooting quite a few rounds with the new stuff last week and stated that it seems to be much more energetic than the powder they were producing previously. If I were operating Estes Energetics, I would just focus on one High quality powder like the former Olde Eynsford label it however they want but put out a release stating that it was the Olde E formula. Seems it would streamline things and allow production to run smoother and produce more of one powder.

"I shot 50 rounds of the new Goex 3f powder today. It was fast, consistent, and clean. Absolutely no complaints here. It shoots as clean as Old Eyensford and performance is close to the same. That’s good news in my opinion."

Above is the quote of what I read on the American Long Rifle web site

I've used as much Goex as all the other powders combined. I have several cans of Goex and several cans of Graf's already so won't need to order any more for a good while. I even have half a can of Swiss 3F. When I do order more powder it will be their OE. I've always been quite satisfied with Goex in the past and the same with "Jack's Battle Powder". More powerful loads from my rifles are irrelevant as deer don't take much to bring down and I had to quit hunting several years ago. Paper targets, tin cans and bottles of water are very easy to kill; and the more modest loads save powder and do the job with aplomb.

I have to burn through my Schuetzen supply first but I'm looking forward to supporting Goex, an American company .
Shuetzen while not based in America fully supports all the American shooting events. They regularly donate lots of powder at both short and long range events. Continue to support them. They never stopped supporting us.

I use those 3 brands. They are all decent n yes the Swiss is the top. I am getting to where i want to buy n use one type. My reason is once i work up a load combo, i want it to be a Constant ! I don't like this powder shooting lower on target. I just hate to mess with my sights once i have it right, I use T7-3f in my T/C Hawken, but i have to clean bore after the 3rd shot. That is a pia but its ok for my hunting. I have never had to shoot 3 times on my tick toters. Now tree rat hunting is only Black as i may shoot 6-10 times in a morning.

Back