GOEX

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goex is of course a Black Powder while the others you mention are substitue powders. Goex is a very consistent shot to shot powder. It is also more likely to foul the bore as the substitute powders. Its easy to clean. Has a good stinky smell. Lots of white smoke when it goes off. One of my favorite powders.

In this day and age, most people look at a powder for power and how easy is it to clean. Goex is about 15% less powerful then Triple Seven and a little less powerful then Pyrodex RS. All that means is you might loose a hundred feet per second in velocity. That's not the end of the world in my book. And it might take a little longer to clean, but will clean with soap and water.

Black Powder is corrosive, so if you shoot your rifle you need to clean it ASAP. But then I feel that way no matter what powder I shoot. One thing I will say for Goex. If a powder is going to go off every time, Goex will be one of them powders. Black Powders have a lower flash point, so they are easier to ignite.

BTW....
Remember when Captain Kirk made black powder and a home made cannon to kill the alien lizard he was forced to fight under the watchful eye of those gay guys in the white night shirts?

Yep, that was probably my first intro to black powder!....

Well....anyone besides me remember? The cannon was bamboo and wound with rope....right????

:D

Spit is not only a Magilla killer but a trekie to boot...

Spit, i remeber it all to well.I saw it the very first time it air in the series back in the 60s.Man i use to love Star Trek

PS:Could he be asking about GOEX PINNACLE?
Spitpatch said:
BTW....
Remember when Captain Kirk made black powder and a home made cannon to kill the alien lizard he was forced to fight under the watchful eye of those gay guys in the white night shirts?

Well....anyone besides me remember? The cannon was bamboo and wound with rope....right????

SwampFox said:
Spit, i remeber it all to well.I saw it the very first time it air in the series back in the 60s.Man i use to love Star Trek

PS:Could he be asking about GOEX PINNACLE?
Spitpatch said:
BTW....

i was reading a post about goex and yes i think it was pinnacle

Pinnacle is a who different animal then Black Powder Goex. I've shot off about five pounds of Pinnacle 3f and liked it. The 2f powder is very course and hard to measure and pour. The Pinnacle is made with the help of American Pioneer Powder. It is a sugar based powder. It is very easy to clean. You do not have to swab, although watch the end of the barrel for a white powder build up. And a few of my rifles with LIGHT weight projectiles shot very well with it. My Wolverine was one of them. Also it shot roundball real well. How fast, who knows. But it did not shoot heavy sabots well or large conicals.

The only reason I stopped buying it is the cost, but also black powder does all of this for a lot less money. When you shoot as much as I do, five dollar a pound starts to add up in powder.

I remember the first time I shot Pinnacle. I had been shooting a Wolverine. With Triple Seven powder I had to swab between each shot. So I wanted to give Pinnacle a try. I shot 12 times and never swabbed the bore. I could have shot more, but ran out of XTP's in the pack. It also cleaned up in about five patches. It is a fun powder to shoot and works real well in my black powder revolvers.

What Cayuga said about Pinnacle.

Been using Pinnacle for a couple of years. Now i use it almost exclusively. Pinnacle likes a tight fitting sabot that is seated hard on the powder: Consistency is everything with Pinnacle. Have shot 12-15 pounds of 2F and several pounds of 3F. There is no appreciable difference in accuracy. There seems to be a little more recoil with 3F when the same loads are used.

I measure my loads by pouring from the spout into my TC brass measure: Am told this is what most of the old BP shooters did. Without doing anything else i strike the powder off level with the measure. Works for me.

I live about 6 miles from Riverside, Iowa....the future home of Captain James T. Kirk ...you probably remember the Invasion Iowa movie....right?

BTW....I think the powder he made if I remember correctly was closer to 1f than 3f....seems he ground it with a stone...right Swampfox??

Yep Spit.It had to be atleast 1f,he just scoop the makeing's right off the ground, Them blew that Lizzard down then took a Cristal Spike he found and stop short of killings him.Yep i use to love Star Trek and thats why i have all the old ones on CD some place around here,LOL
Spitpatch said:
I live about 6 miles from Riverside, Iowa....the future home of Captain James T. Kirk ...you probably remember the Invasion Iowa movie....right?

BTW....I think the powder he made if I remember correctly was closer to 1f than 3f....seems he ground it with a stone...right Swampfox??

would you consider a 300 grain bullet heavy?

My CVA Magnum Hunter shoots the 300 grain .430 and .452 bullets very well using Goex Pinnacle 2F and with 3F. i use the green Knight sabot with the .430 bullet. The MMP sabot is used with the .452 bullet. Have also fired the Harvester 280 grain hard lead bullet in the Harvester crush rib sabot using 140 grains of 3F Pinnacle. This was also an accurate load.

When I was shooting Pinnacle 3f in my Wolverine, my Disc and my Black Diamond, results varied from rifle to rifle. My Wolverine with a 240 grain XTP and Pinnacle did extremely well. My Disc did well with Shockwaves in the 250 gr range. The Black Diamond XR did not like Pinnacle. I wondered if it had something to do with the design of the breech plug.

As I said, the place it really shined was in my black powder revolver. I could shoot all day without having to break the revolver down and clean it.

since there is no BH209 anywhere in maine, what i can get is pyro RF, P and S, T7 and pellets in both. Now i know you guys are gonna say shoot your gun and see what it likes but what is the wiser one to try working a load up for first.

thanks

If it were me,i just bit the bullet and order some BlackHorn 209 and pay the HAZ-MAT fee.But i am not you.So going by just the ones you call out,i'd go with T7

Latest posts

Back