gonic arms

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubby

Reaction score
how many shoots gonic arms muzzleloaders,im one of them just love this rifle :D :D

Decent rifle, I had one once and sold it to a member here. The breech plug in the one I had wasn't removable.

flounder said:
Decent rifle, I had one once and sold it to a member here. The breech plug in the one I had wasn't removable.

yup got a model 87 in a 45 cal first muzzy i bought still have it too{i couldn't find a White up here :huh?: ,i got abunch ov them now tho :D :D }

I think mine was a model 93 if I remember right. Mine was a 50 caliber and I think the bore was right at .500.

I have a stainless /laminate 50 cal gonic I hunt with. I am also the guy who bought Flounders gonic. Neither one has a removable breach plug. My hunting load is a 460 grain no excuse conical sized to .500 , 80 grains of 777 ffg , Remington #11 cap.

Hi - they are great - those Gonics - Still holds the #1 World Record Whitetail for Black Powder. Dave Wilsons 193 2/8.
Minute of angle (accuracy of 1 inch at 100 yd, 2 at 200 and 3 at 300 yd). Designer/ Patent holder and previous Thompson designer was ahead of his time. It was hard to keep up with mass produced guns and cheap prices, the father passed away etc so they fell out of the market. But you can take those gonics to the grave and then some and always know that what you aim at - your going to get it and with accuracy and punch. There are a lot of tricks I learned about the gun from talking to the designer and family years ago. I learned how to use the gun LONG before I tried to shoot. To obtain the minute of angle accuracy and match shooting, you have to follow a regimented set of rules. for hunting - dont need to worry at all.

Dont worry about the 11 cap vs 209 primer. there are tricks I learned to prevent cap from miss fire - even in the rain. Also - 209 overpressurizes the powder and can blow the powder/bullet forward before ingnition and reduce accuracy. That holds true for most muzzleloaders - ever notice that once in a while your shot is high or low out of the blue with the 209 primer and pellet powder vs any 11 cap or 0.25 charge?

Regards

Rick

Mine both have a much smaller bore, the grooves on mine are just about 0.500". This makes them 50 caliber stepchildren as none of the standard 50 cal stuff works. Even finding a patch for a 0.490" ball is a challenge. Not having a 209 primer precludes the use of Blackhorn 209, it will not setoff BH 209.

I also have the Gonic mold, made by LEE for a 465 grain bullet. I did try it with Pyrodex, accurate enough.

I stocked up on sabots, so if I decide to shot BP again, I'll be set.

I wish I had a couple of Gonic barrels for the Contender. I met the founder Fred Rodney ages ago. He was ahead of his time in many ways.

Massbigbore442001,
Them barrels move through the marketplace, ya' just gotta keep your eyes out and scarf on 'em when they show up.
Jimmy

Lee is making a.50 cal bullet mould for the 500 S&W. It casts a 440 gr. flat nose bullet at .501-.502. It should make an awesome conical bullet for hunting in .50 cal. rifles.

Latest posts

Back