Gonic history

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having a hard time finding general info on Gonic Arms. I'm curious as to how long they were in business and if there's any way to find out when my 44 caliber GA87 was made. Serial # 200x btw. I think she's pre 1991 production as the manual says after 1 May 1991 tje rifles will no longer be shipped with the open breech striker. But it'll be available free for the asking.
Nifty rifle. Haven't shot it yet.
So, anybody out there know about Gonic?

About the only thing i seem to remember is the inventor Fred Rodney died and his son or sons took over. Seems to me they were not into it as much as dad was and it didnt take long for Gonic to go under after that. Gonic also sold some of the first ML barrels for Contenders. Ive found old ads from 1991-1995 but not much else. I might have Gonic confused with another rifle that was similar to Whites but im pretty sure that was the inventors name.

No idea what barrels they used but i think they used Bold triggers like White used. Many of the old internet links are now dead so its hard to come up with much now. They are even gone from Googles "cache".

EDIT: The sons name might have been Dale Rodney

theres a write up about them somewhere on the web I found it in my researching them when I was thinking about buying one on Gunbroker.. it pretty much had the history from start to finish.

just spent a few minutes searching and I cant find it, may of been a write up on a forum a individual did cant remember.

Fred Rodney used to be the gun designer for Thompson Center. He was instrumental in developing the Encore . He created the Gonic. They were great guns . Extremely tight bore but no excuses made bullets sized down to fit Gonics at one time. They probably still do , I didn’t bother to check. You got a nice piece of history for sure

I still hunt with a old 50 cal gonic. I picked up a old gonic sales catalog several years ago which listed all their guns and accessories. I’d post pictures of the catalog but it’s up in Iowa at my brothers house. I bought the 460 grain no excuses especially made for gonic’s.

I still hunt with a old 50 cal gonic. I picked up a old gonic sales catalog several years ago which listed all their guns and accessories. I’d post pictures of the catalog but it’s up in Iowa at my brothers house. I bought the 460 grain no excuses especially made for gonic’s.
Could you please send me a photo of the bolt assembly in your rifle I have one that are missing parts and need pictures and measurements so I can fab my own

I have a couple of Gonics. I found some pistol barrel parts I had bought and misplaced. I knew where the barrel was, so I'm putting it together. In all my ML years I have never seen another one.
Nit Wit

I have a couple of Gonics. I found some pistol barrel parts I had bought and misplaced recipes. I knew where the barrel was, so I'm putting it together. In all my ML years I have never seen another one.
Nit Wit
can you post some photos? i've heard about them, never actually seen one.
i guess they are really rare nowadays?

Last edited:
I love my Gonics.
Two GA-90's for contender 16" & 20", both .45 calber front stuffers set up for 209 primers.
GA-93 stainless .50 cal. , now that's a tight bore! Gotta load a conical that is .500" or you've really gotta work!
Here's the 20" 45 cal with a homemade buttstock
20 inch GA-90 in 45 caliber sm.jpg

Latest posts

Back