Good bullet for .504

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half Fast

Reaction score
Good bullet for .504

Hey all. I just got a white with in .504. I am looking for bullets. I read somewhere that Thor makes a .503. Has anybody shot it? Looking for ideas including molds. The white bullets appear to be scarce. I could use a source for these if available. I have heard of a couple others, but would like to hear opinions. Thanks.

Re: Good bullet for .504

For a white, your best bet is the 460gr No excuse bullets. I dont think a thor will fill the rifling since those are over sized bores.

Funny that the guys don't stick to std calibers ?

I heard of the no excuses. I have been looking at molds, there used to be a lee mold (pistol) I think that cast a .505. I would like to cast my own if possible, but probably too difficult to find the right mold. White has been out of the business for some time, and I'm sure I'm not the first to think of the mold idea. Probably scarce and overpriced, with my luck.

Any ideas are welcome. I tried to get to dirty white boys forum, looks like it's down, or I don't know how to get there. I am going to check greybeard.

Anybody ever use teflon tape  to increase the bullet diameter?

Could you patch a Thor to make it work? 

Spitfire makes a good point, what is with all these non-standard bore sizes? IMO if it is an inline it should be .45 or .50 call and leave it at that.

When you check bores of 50 caliber rifles you will find that they are all over the place. I have Knight rifles  that run from .500 up to .504. The Whites at least are pretty consistent.
I cast my own conicals. I found a couple used molds that I cast with and I recently had a custom mold made from Accurate Molds. The custom molds are expensive but if you do a lot of shooting it doesn't come to all that much per shot.  
You can also buy bullets from Bullshop Dan in Montana. He makes some real nice bullets and is very reasonable.
Good Luck with that White rifle.
Art

No way to patch a Thor. Knurling would be the best bet but sensitive until you come up with a precise way of doing it.

Flounder, those accurate molds are pretty damn nice! I wish i had kept my .500 360 grainer mold.

flounder said:
When you check bores of 50 caliber rifles you will find that they are all over the place. I have Knight rifles  that run from .500 up to .504. The Whites at least are pretty consistent.
I cast my own conicals. I found a couple used molds that I cast with and I recently had a custom mold made from Accurate Molds. The custom molds are expensive but if you do a lot of shooting it doesn't come to all that much per shot.  
You can also buy bullets from Bullshop Dan in Montana. He makes some real nice bullets and is very reasonable.
Good Luck with that White rifle.
Art
Good post, Art. Funny you should say that, I was just checking them out. Looks like they have a mold for the 600gr white in 504. Since I have been having troubles sourcing bullets, I am thinking pretty hard about it. Not all that expensive compared to all the .45 bullets I have been buying. We used to cast LEE real in .50, 240 grain. I killed lots of deer with those out of sidelocks. Which mold did you get? Do you size your bullets? What kind of groups at 100 yards are you getting (if you shoot for group). Thanks for the help.

I just got my new mold last weekend and I have taken the time to make some bullets but haven't done any casting yet. I size most of my bullets. For my 50 caliber whites I size them to .504. This is the mold I got except I got all the bands at .504 instead of a tapered bullet as shown. http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=51-440B-D.png You can see the bullets in the casting section above.
Another mold I use is a Mountain Mold which is very similar to this one
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=51-495M-D.png
Again, not tapered.
I also have a UC short mold which shoots well but I get frustrated with the Lee molds.
Most of my target shooting is more like 50 to 75 yards. I shoot with open sights mostly. On a good day I get one ragged hole, on other days I get very acceptable hunting accuracy but nothing to brag about.

Did you get single cavity? alum, brass? I don't think mountain makes them anymore. I wonder if there is there any violation of patent or copyright, etc by having a mold made for a (recent) out of production bullet? Like the old powerstars, or whatever the conicals were called.

My mold is single cavity cast iron. For some reason Dan Lynch at Mountain Molds does not want to make molds for muzzleloader bullets. I don't understand why but it is his prerogative.

Muley said:
600gr? You going after elephant?
Heck no. They keep kicking me out at the zoo gates.

Muley, this is the only mold I have found that specifies the white bullet. Says white 600 on it. If they made one that said white 460, I would own it. I would be more than happy (and am still looking) to find something closer to 450 grain in .504. I will even consider up to .510 if it's that much better of a bullet and I can understand how to size bullets (I understand I may have to size twice at .510). Accurate molds can make a custom. I would much rather buy something proven to shoot good in a white .504

I just sold my T/C Hawken 54. I was shooting 450 conicals. 90 grains. Kills on one end, cripples on the other. I understand your point.

I'm a bit recoil sensitive. I had my cheek operated on, and it left it very sensitive. So, when I see those heavy bullets I sort of cringe.

I can't believe i've considering a 350gr FPB for my elk hunt. I'm almost hoping they won't shoot good, so I can find something smaller. :|

I am hoping this white will absorb a lot of the recoil. I have the laminate stock. I am reading guys are using 65-70 grains of 2f or 3f pushing the big conical with great success. I don't know the ballistics, but a whole bunch of guys swear by it. I will let you know how it goes. That's going to be one of my decisions between the optima elite .45 and the white .50, how they handle recoil. The .45 with 90 grains and the powerbelt is nothing for recoil. I shot it 62 times (primer count) in 2 1/2 days and my shoulder was not sore. Don't get me wrong, I felt it, but it wasn't bad at all. The optima elite stock design is one of the best I have shot for recoil.

Has anyone tried a Hornady FPB in a White? I though that I had read somewhere that they were .505 or .506 at the base?

Well whatever gets hit by that 600 grainer is not getting up again !

Half Fast said:
Muley said:
600gr? You going after elephant?
Heck no. They keep kicking me out at the zoo gates.

Muley, this is the only mold I have found that specifies the white bullet. Says white 600 on it. If they made one that said white 460, I would own it. I would be more than happy (and am still looking) to find something closer to 450 grain in .504.
I would like to respectfully point out that just because a mold specifies "white" on it does not mean that it will produce a bullet that will shoot
better than those produced by a number of other molds. The important thing is that it is the right diameter and sized properly for your barrel. The original white bullets were sized to .503 which made for easy loading on a fouled bore. I prefer them around .504, I swab between shots and I could still load a .504 on a fouled bore if I needed to for that rare second shot.

Latest posts

Back