Good Hog loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buglemintoday

Reaction score
Which mzl bullets do ya'll use on the hogs? Are the sabots too explosive for these tough animals?

I would not shoot a hog with a sabot.........put a bullet in the sabot and your in business. :mrgreen:

You will get lots of opinions on bullets for hogs and here is one. In my experience it would be difficult to choose a 44 or 45 caliber bullet that would not do a great job on hogs. Any 44 or 45 caliber bullet around 240 to 300 grains driven by 100 grains of black powder or equivalent will kill a hog pronto. The key here is to not over drive thebullet. Too high velocities will make most any bullet come apart too soon and render poor penetration. Keep your muzzle velocities below 1900 fps and you will be impressed and hogs more so.

I have killed 40 plus hogs here in Arkansas in the last 5 or 6 years. Most were shot with a 45 muzzleloader using 200 grain .400 diameter Hornady XTP in a tan sabot or a Precision Rifle 175 grain .357 diameter Dead Center in their orange sabot on top 80 or 90 grains of FF blackpowder or equivalent. Many with a 50 caliber muzzleloader shooting a 250 grain, .452 diameter Hornady XTP in a black sabot on top of 90 or 100 grains of FF black powder or equivalent. Some were shot with a 38 caliber handgun with 140 grain jacketed hollow point factory loads. A few were taken with a 22 magnum and a handful with a bow and arrow. I have never had to shoot a hog twice with a gun. I did finish one off with the 38 caliber handgun that I had initially arrowed.

These hogs run from 40 pounds to right a 250 pounds. Any decent deer bullet with a reasonable powder charge placed in the right area anchors hogs for me.

.50 cal PRB

A .490 PRB pushed by 70 gr. of FFg. Goex will punch a hole in a hog. I've got a little Spainish-made Hawken that I've kilt a couple of pigs with.

375 Barnes XPB did the trick on this hog last April.

2006hog.jpg

2006hog1.jpg

498 grain pure lead conical is deadly medicine for the porker problem in TN..... :lol:

In past 2 years killed 2 hogs with my in-lines. First was taken with a 300 grain Barnes MZ Expander & 2nd taken with a 460 grain No Excuse conical. First hog went down with 5-10 yards but 2nd involved some trailing due to a high hit.

This year I will be going on an all flintlock/bow hunt for hogs. Plan to shoot a 300 grain .452 XTP out of my flinter.

Keep your muzzle velocities below 1900 fps and you will be impressed and hogs more so.

That's really exactly correct. Most any saboted muzzleloading bullet weighing 240-300gr using 80-100gr of your propellant of choice will do a fine job on a hog. It would be hard to beat a 240gr to 300gr Hornady XTP. Most hog shots are close and putting it where is needs to go should be the main concern.

Hoggin'?

Big6x6,

Are you going to hunt Seven Mile Island this weekend?

my savage load is 42/4759/300remhp.458/mmp orange sabot. one dead pig clint

Batchief909 said:
Sounds like Bob has finally succumbed to the .504 way of thinking.... 8) :lol:

Nah, I'm just too lazy to put all my .451's together....... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: But one day...... :p :p :p :p

Hey Bob...the hunt before last year...was that a .451 you were usin?

I was already on my way home last year when u whacked ur pig but believe that was a .504.

:) Best of luck on your coming hunt Bob! Look fwd to readin another great story like you wrote on our last hunt there!

We got a group of PA Flintlockers headin down in the Fall (maybe one w/bow). There likely will be some wild stories to report from our group's hunt for sure!!! :lol:

I killed a 200 pounder with 385gr. Great Plains bullet last year.

This year one the hunt one of the Guys shot a small Pig with 12ga. Slugs 4 times.Talking about already ground up.Take a guess which one it was??? :roll:

000_1678.jpg

oneshot

Loggy said:
Hey Bob...the hunt before last year...was that a .451 you were usin?

I was already on my way home last year when u whacked ur pig but believe that was a .504.

:) Best of luck on your coming hunt Bob! Look fwd to readin another great story like you wrote on our last hunt there!

We got a group of PA Flintlockers headin down in the Fall (maybe one w/bow). There likely will be some wild stories to report from our group's hunt for sure!!! :lol:

2005 was a .451 and in 2006 it was a .504. This year who knows?

Latest posts

Back