Good hunting scope for 30 06?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uh oh! It is a massively built gun, but maybe a gun smith would know. But now I am nervous. Maybe there could be a clamp-on? It is a Drilling, and the top is a double barrel.
It is the solder on the rib that is the weak link its not designed for mounting a scope but if you mount a very light weight scope you could get by with it just be cautious

Uh oh! It is a massively built gun, but maybe a gun smith would know. But now I am nervous. Maybe there could be a clamp-on? It is a Drilling, and the top is a double barrel.
It is the solder which is the weak link just proceed with caution you could get lucky if the scope is light weight enough if not you will have a loose rib

It is the solder which is the weak link just proceed with caution you could get lucky if the scope is light weight enough if not you will have a loose rib
The solder is not the weak link. The rib material is not intended to be drilled and tapped to keep screws stationary, and withstand recoil with the added weight of a scope.

Claw mount material is harder and stronger.

The solder is not the weak link. The rib material is not intended to be drilled and tapped to keep screws stationary, and withstand recoil with the added weight of a scope.

Claw mount material is harder and stronger.
You may be correct about the rib but I bought a drilling some years ago that someone drilled and tapped the rib and made a base and installed a scope and the solder came loose in that area but the screws held fine { Just My Experience yours could be different }

Not sure it may be weak. I see a lot of scopes on my gun and similar guns. Could all these be wrong? Some of these are decades old and have been shot.

Please let me know documentation. Honestly you may know more than me and I don't want to get a costly mistake.

Attachments

• 111.jpeg
    111.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • claw 1.jpeg
    claw 1.jpeg
    410.7 KB · Views: 0
  • claw 2.jpg
    claw 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • img627-e1609678651956-1024x771.jpg
    img627-e1609678651956-1024x771.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 0
  • Mine, same gun Colt Sauer Drilling 3000.jpg
    Mine, same gun Colt Sauer Drilling 3000.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 0
  • JP-SAUER-SIDELOCK-DRILLING-MADE-IN-1925-GAME-SCENE-ENGRAVING-16-16-8X58-SAUER_102185061_18376_...jpg
    JP-SAUER-SIDELOCK-DRILLING-MADE-IN-1925-GAME-SCENE-ENGRAVING-16-16-8X58-SAUER_102185061_18376_...jpg
    431 KB · Views: 0
You may be correct about the rib but I bought a drilling some years ago that someone drilled and tapped the rib and made a base and installed a scope and the solder came loose in that area but the screws held fine { Just My Experience yours could be different }
Interesting! I’ve seen just the opposite.

At any rate, if the gun were mine, I’d ship it off to JJ, and have him put on claw mounts and rings for a 1” scope.

It won’t be cheap, but downstream someone won’t be saying “why did someone bugger up this drilling to put some Weaver bases on it??”.

Not sure it may be weak. I see a lot of scopes on my gun and similar guns. Could all these be wrong? Some of these are decades old and have been shot.

Please let me know documentation. Honestly you may know more than me and I don't want to get a costly mistake.
Every picture you have posted is of guns with claw mounts not drilled and tapped I would bet that to install claw mounts on your gun will be almost as expensive as buying a gun with them already installed

Every picture you have posted is of guns with claw mounts not drilled and tapped I would bet that to install claw mounts on your gun will be almost as expensive as buying a gun with them already installed
My, my, my, let's look on the bright side! You just gotta know the right people and I do!

I have a very good gunsmith has agreed to buy and install the claw mounts for $900, from Germany. Will look like they were born there. I may just go that route. I have asked him to source these mounts and will send him the gun or just the barrel. I really like the claw mounts. Just gotta know the right people. He has done some awesome work for me. I like authentic and he makes it happen.

I have a 1750s Swiss Jaeger .70cal completely original, perfect! It was converted to percussion. Also $900. He is converting back to absolute authentic flintlock. He can't get to me until September and only because he is a friend.

Attachments

• IMG_1768.JPG
    IMG_1768.JPG
    698.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1759.JPG
    IMG_1759.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1770 sw.JPG
    IMG_1770 sw.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Interesting! I’ve seen just the opposite.

At any rate, if the gun were mine, I’d ship it off to JJ, and have him put on claw mounts and rings for a 1” scope.

It won’t be cheap, but downstream someone won’t be saying “why did someone bugger up this drilling to put some Weaver bases on it??”.
So have I, seen the opposite.

Who is "JJ" I might reach out to him because my gunsmith can't get to me until December. Yecch. Weaver bases.

There is a possibility. I can get these bases for $20 each. Won't scar the barrel, but really ugly. Tide me over until I get the claw mounts.

Attachments

• Shotgun base.jpg
    Shotgun base.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 0
My, my, my, let's look on the bright side! You just gotta know the right people and I do!

I have a very good gunsmith has agreed to buy and install the claw mounts for $900, from Germany. Will look like they were born there. I may just go that route. I have asked him to source these mounts and will send him the gun or just the barrel. I really like the claw mounts. Just gotta know the right people. He has done some awesome work for me. I like authentic and he makes it happen.

I have a 1750s Swiss Jaeger .70cal completely original, perfect! It was converted to percussion. Also $900. He is converting back to absolute authentic flintlock. He can't get to me until September and only because he is a friend.
You better go for that . It is a good deal

Those mounts also won’t stay put, and will scar the rib. If you have some who can do the claw mounts for the price you mention, I would jump on that before he changes his mind. That is an extremely good price. Almost too good.

John0313, He can't work on it until Christmas, so I will just use it as it is. I am ok with iron sights, 50-75yards. I will not bastardise this neat gun, maybe just let it be.

However I have another Sauer drilling in transit with claw mounts and scope, one of my favorite calibers, 7x64R. Close enough for hunting. A really good scope already mounted.

Attachments

• Sauer1.jpeg
    Sauer1.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 0
Scopes are common and meant for Drillings, I have two Drillings and have hunted with a Bockdrilling for 25+ years. I also have a standard Sauer Drilling, 2x 16 guage over 8x57, and it had an old original 4x scope on it, but I replaced that scope with a 6 power x 42 Schmidt & Bender. Most scopes you will see are rail mounted and do not have rings. I would recommend a low power scope, either 4x or 6x. I have rarely seen a Drilling without a scope. You should be able to purchase a used scope on egun, though it will be more difficult if you cannot read and understand German. Good luck on your Drilling, I'm quite sure you'll like it, Waidmannsheil.

Here is a rail scope off egun at link: https://egun.de/market/item.php?id=19525961

Here is the top of my Sauer Drilling that has Claw Mounts (Einhaakmontage).
00--hg_K7nlTyyhMXxRTLUblPWBkxF5tDYe7VrPtL4XS8qxSOTgd5EzU2W2CMO2EVrf

00--hg_K7nlTyyhMXxRTLUblPWBkxF5tDYe7VrPtL4XS8qivNqb6p6n6cNsfmcRtrRM

Scopes are common and meant for Drillings, I have two Drillings and have hunted with a Bockdrilling for 25+ years. I also have a standard Sauer Drilling, 2x 16 guage over 8x57, and it had an old original 4x scope on it, but I replaced that scope with a 6 power x 42 Schmidt & Bender. Most scopes you will see are rail mounted and do not have rings. I would recommend a low power scope, either 4x or 6x. I have rarely seen a Drilling without a scope. You should be able to purchase a used scope on egun, though it will be more difficult if you cannot read and understand German. Good luck on your Drilling, I'm quite sure you'll like it, Waidmannsheil.

Here is a rail scope off egun at link: https://egun.de/market/item.php?id=19525961

Here is the top of my Sauer Drilling that has Claw Mounts (Einhaakmontage).
What could I do with my Colt Sauer Drilling with no mounts?

Last edited:
You would need to get the bases from EAW, they still make them. Then a gunsmith would have to install them on the rib. If I'm not mistaken, New England Firearms has a gunsmith there that specializes in doing these type things. They do make mounts that take tubed/rings scopes, as well as for rail scopes. I would recommend first obtaining the scope you want on it, and from there contacting EAW for the proper mounts, then off to a gunsmith.

These are the mounts: Claw Mounts

Get some magnetic bases ,I use them for my muzzle loaders ,just do a search even works on shotguns bought a few years ago they were about hundred bucks

6x36mm Leupold
6X42mm Leupold
4.5-14x40mm Leupold with B&C reticle
3.5-10x40mm Leupold with B&C reticle

I just acquired a Colt Saur 3000 Drilling. 12g double (Mod and full chokes) with a 30 06 under. I plan to be hunting in Georgia and mostly 100-150 yard at most. Deer and/or hogs. I like the drilling as an all-around firearm. For plinking, birds, whatever. I plan to handload the 30 06 from plinking to bigger game.

I am ok with iron sights, but like a crosshair or dot with more precision. I also want to be able to detach it so I can use my shotgun barrels. I see "claw mounts" on drillings.

What magnification? Fixed or variable scope good? Unlikely I would be hunting at night, but are thermal scopes worthwhile?
A fixed magnification of 3x or 4x would be suitable for the distances you mentioned (100-150 yards). However, if you think you might want to shoot at various distances or different types of targets, a variable magnification scope may be a better choice. It allows you to adjust the magnification to suit different shooting conditions and target sizes. A variable scope with a magnification range of 1-4x, 1-6x, or 2-7x would work well for your purposes.

As for the type of reticle, a simple crosshair or duplex reticle would be a good choice for general-purpose hunting. For quick target acquisition and easier aiming in low light conditions, you might consider an illuminated reticle, which can be adjusted for brightness to suit the ambient light.

The thermal scopes can be useful for hunting at night or in low light conditions, but they are expensive and may not be necessary for your purposes. If you plan to do most of your hunting during daylight hours, you may be better off investing in a high-quality conventional scope.

Back