Good load for the TC TRIUMPH

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Good load for the TC TRIUMPH

My son's hunting load for several years: 80gr BH209 with Barnes 250gr TMZ, great accuracy at 100yd.

Tried 110gr with 290gr TMZ, groups opened up some, he now shoots 100gr with the 250gr TMZ, groups close to the 80gr charge but I think 80 is close to the sweet spot for his rifle.

At the range, we use 250 Shockwaves with the supplied black sabots because the POI for us is almost the same as the Barnes bullets.

BuckDoeHunter said:
My son's hunting load for several years: 80gr BH209 with Barnes 250gr TMZ, great accuracy at 100yd.

Tried 110gr with 290gr TMZ, groups opened up some, he now shoots 100gr with the 250gr TMZ, groups close to the 80gr charge but I think 80 is close to the sweet spot for his rifle.

At the range, we use 250 Shockwaves with the supplied black sabots because the POI for us is almost the same as the Barnes bullets.

Thank you I will start with 80gr. That at least gives me a starting point. I currently have 250 shock waves I think but they have the yellow sabots

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's a good starting point, your rifle could like more BH209, some reports I have read state that 110gr was the sweet spot for Triumphs, ours likes a little less.

The yellow sabots are SuperGlides I believe with the 2 pedal design. I did try them but accuracy was better with the supplied black sabots but the black ones do load firmer.

I can tell you many good loads for real black, se7en, or pyrodex. I recently tried BH in my triumph...guess im gonna have to do some further research. All I can tell you is I couldnt get anything out of several bullet/sabot combinations with 100 grns. Ill try 80 grns next time, But for now, I went back to my old se7en combo for this season. couldnt figure the flavor it liked yet for BH. Im still not sold on it yet, it may be cleaner in the barrel, but it sure fouls a breech plug. And it heats up a barrel like you were using molten lava. way worse than other powders. for me the no swabbing isnt so much an advantage when your sitting around anyway waiting for the barrel to cool between shots. seems like 3 times the wait from anything else. BUT there must be something to it with all the praises from everyone else.

Squeeze said:
I can tell you many good loads for real black, se7en, or pyrodex. I recently tried BH in my triumph...guess im gonna have to do some further research. All I can tell you is I couldnt get anything out of several bullet/sabot combinations with 100 grns. Ill try 80 grns next time, But for now, I went back to my old se7en combo for this season. couldnt figure the flavor it liked yet for BH. Im still not sold on it yet, it may be cleaner in the barrel, but it sure fouls a breech plug. And it heats up a barrel like you were using molten lava. way worse than other powders. for me the no swabbing isnt so much an advantage when your sitting around anyway waiting for the barrel to cool between shots. seems like 3 times the wait from anything else. BUT there must be something to it with all the praises from everyone else.

I will keep that in mind. I have not hunted with my tc yet but have taken it to the range a few times using triple 7 pellets. I can not get it consistent I will have it right on at 25 yards then at 100 it is not even on the paper but it is to the left. Good up and down but really far left. Then the next one will be left but a different distance. Back to 25 and it's right on. I don't get it. I have sighted in a lot of guns and never had issues like this. That is why I thought I would try to shake it up and use Bh209. And ask for advice on what loads people have had good luck with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mine likes harvester sabots and pretty much any of at least 15 different kinds/weights of .45 cal bullets, it does well with 80-100 grn loads loose powder almost any kind, but I think ive settled on 80 grns as the tightest group. It shoots 295 powerbelts as good as anything, even got a few deer with them, but all good shot placement and they never went far, but I dont think ill hunt with them anymore after all the bad reviews. lately Ive been using speer 260 grn jacketed hollow points in a harvester sabot. (there was a while I was even shooting them in a harv green crush rib sabot for a .430 bullet with great results...till someone pointed out they were the wrong combo for the bullet :D but it worked fine for me haha)

Use a CCI209M or Federal 209A primer, work between 100grs V and 110grs V BH209 and stuff a Barnes 250 or 290gr TMZ on top of it. You won't have to change up sabots either. If the barrel being new is tight, shoot a couple packages of T-EZ's through it first. It'll shoot the load better than most shooters. A great number of shooters here in MI use that rifle and load and just about all T/C rifles and shooters love that load. Lots of guys here shooting 2" groups at 200yds with it.

I am using 110gn of BH209, Barnes Spit-Fire 250gn T-EZ and Winchester 209 primers. I am shooting cloverleaf patterns and better at 100 yards.

Latest posts

Back