Good Ram Rod ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting, think i'll give this technique a try! 

Thanks guys. :D

Smokin' Joe said:
I have no experience putting ram rods in Kerosene or Diesel fuel but I would think the smell would linger quite awhile.  My question: "how long would it take before the smell disappears?"
The odor is gone in a few days to a week which isn't bad for the advantages it provides.

Mike told me about this kerosene trick with the ramrods, I will try it when I make a new rod for my .72 bore rifle.  I also found using the butt of the patchknife to seat the ball on the patching below the muzzle as I also mostly cut them at the muzzle also negates the use of the short starter, same as already mentioned grab the ramrod initially just above the muzzle and short handle it down to the charge.

virtualy indestuctibl ramrod
peridramrod.com
Check them out.They have m metal rod in the seter.

I got tired of wrecking my hand on wood rods and plastic is too flexible. I have a rod made from aluminum. Stiff, light and threaded 10/32 on each end. It works for a hunting, cleaning, and range rod. Never wears out.

SpinJag sells them in any length you want. They come black anodized that never wears off. You could have them anodized brown for a more traditional look.

Bear Claw said:
I got tired of wrecking my hand on wood rods and plastic is too flexible. I have a rod made from aluminum. Stiff, light and threaded 10/32 on each end. It works for a hunting, cleaning, and range rod. Never wears out.

SpinJag sells them in any length you want. They come black anodized that never wears off. You could have them anodized brown for a more traditional look.
Just watch for any signs of wear on your muzzle Pete. The aluminum rods got a lot of bad press from the high power comp shooters years ago for that reason. One of the accessories companies came out with the brass guide to protect the muzzle when using a rod that could hurt (wear) the muzzle end (to me that was one more thing to get misplaced).

I use a brass guide except during hunting. Not enough loading when hunting to hurt anything.

Those making aluminum ramrods claim it won't wear the muzzle. Somebody is wrong. Not sure who?

Aluminum is softer than steel. I've been using aluminum cleaning rods for decades with no apparent damage to muzzles.

patocazador said:
Aluminum is softer than steel. I've been using aluminum cleaning rods for decades with no apparent damage to muzzles.
That was my thought too.

Bear Claw said:

Interesting, thanks!

Back