Got a doe last night.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MI_Bowhunter

Reaction score
Muzzleloading closed on Sunday but Archery is still open and so is the extended firearm doe (which I was partaking in). I've seen deer every night but none within range. Two nights ago I saw 14 deer but the closest was 400 yards. Tonight I really didn't feel like making the muddy trek out to my blind on the edge of the bean field so I decided to mix it up and hunt the platform out back of my buddies house. He wasn't hunting tonight and told me i could hunt it whenever I wanted. I got out there a little later than I liked but still had an hour and a half before the end of shooting hours.

I was really noisy in the woods. Lots of shooting from the pheasant farm down the road and lots of shots coming from the other direction as well. Probably someone out target shooting. it was also pretty windy. I sat most of the evening and didn't see a thing. I checked my watch and saw I only had about 15 minutes left before I had to pack it up. I couple minutes later I saw some movement out in front of me so I pulled up the glasses to take a peak. I had 5 or six does crossing a small clearing out in front of me. They were out of sight before I had a chance to get the gun up. A couple minutes later I heard a twig snap and looked down to my left, the does had looped back along the tree line and were coming back onto view on the trail just below my stand. I had to double check to make sure they were does, hunting with a gun, doe is my only option tonight. I do not see any antlers so I pick out the one that offered the best shot and dropped the hammer. The muzzleloader makes a heck of a flash in low light. When the smoke cleared I could see her running off into the woods across the trail. About this time I felt my phone vibrating in my pocket indicating that shooting hours were up. I like to set an alarm so I don't have to keep checking my watch. One of the few things a cell phone is useful for in the stand. I really seem to have my best luck in the last 15 minutes of hunting hours.

I didn't wait, I packed up and worked my way down to ground level and walked over to where I hit her., There was blood everywhere, I knew I hit her good. I let her sit for a while and slowly made my way back to to the house. I knew my buddy would be back home and enlisted his help tracking her. It seemed like a long time but 30 minutes later we were back at the location of first blood. The trail was easy to follow it looked like someone had unrolled a red carpet. She only went about 50 yards and collapsed. Looking at the blood trail I'm amazed she made it that far. I dressed her out and dragged her up the hill to the trail. Ever notice that they always seem to run down a hill? We used my 4 wheeler to haul her back to the truck. ATV''s never get tired. :-D

I weighed her in the garage and she registered 120#'s on my scale which is a little low as I could not raise her high enough to get her head off the ground. No wonder my back hurts from pulling her up the hill.

Sorry for the cluttered garage pics, it was raining to hard outside to get decent pictures.

Doe01_002_zpssdbpfrop.jpg

Darn I look evil in that pic. LOL

For the techie details she was about 10-15 yards out when I shot. My gun was a Traditions Buckstalker loaded with 2 Pyrodex pellets under a Barnes Expander MZ

I have to say the Barnes bullet did one heck of a number on this doe. Destroyed the lungs and took a nice chunk out of the heart. I highly recommend them. They perform much better than the SST's I had used on my previous two muzzleloader deer.

I just realized I'm going to have to buy another doe tag if I want to hunt with my new Optima next weekend.

Congrats! very nice fat doe. I have to wait till Monday to fill my last doe tag, but won't get out till late Tuesday due to family trip. I hope to get one just like that, they make great jerky!

Congrads on the nice big Doe. :yeah: I got one too this year about that size so I know she is going to help fill up your freezer. 8)

Congratulations on some excellent looking table fare. Nice fat doe like that. I bet she's a good eating deer.

what scope and mount do you have on your buckstalker? I have the same ML but no scope yet

Re: RE: Re: Got a doe last night.

medir said:
what scope and mount do you have on your buckstalker? I have the same ML but no scope yet
The scope is a Bushnell 3-9x I transferred from another rifle. I do not know the make of the scope mount. I can get a close up picture if that would help.

MI_Bowhunter said:
medir said:
The scope is a Bushnell 3-9x I transferred from another rifle. I do not know the make of the scope mount. I can get a close up picture if that would help.
any bushnell built for regular rifles would work for a ML? I have a Bushnell 3200 but I'm afraid that the recoil will break it.

medir said:
MI_Bowhunter said:
medir said:
any bushnell built for regular rifles would work for a ML? I have a Bushnell 3200 but I'm afraid that the recoil will break it.

Years ago I destroyed a cheap bottom end Tasco shotgun scope on a muzzleloader. This was like a $40 scope from a retail store and most likely would have come apart on any gun. Now I tend to buy at least the next tier up in the product line. Been using Bushnell on my guns for years and never had an issue. This is the 2nd muzzleloader and 3rd rifle this particular scope has sat on.

My muzzleloader does not kick as much as my 30-06 or my Mossberg 835 and regular rifle scopes have held up on both of those for years.

Back