Got a REAL deal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweesdad

Reaction score
Sunday, my bride decided that we should get out and go for a ride. Driving past one of the local farms, we saw a sign for a barn sale. Naturally, she insisted we stop and take a look. While she was examining all the female related stuff, I wandered around, and in the back of the barn found a .54 T/C Renegade leaning against the wall. Wood has a few dings but generally in good shape. All steel showing a lack of care. Slight browning, but no pits. No price tag on the thing, so I asked what the lady there wanted for the gun. She said that she had no idea what "that old thing" would be worth, but would I give her $150.00. After I called her attention to the overall condition, I offered her $125.00. She hemmed and hawed for a while, and I took it home for $135.00 cash. Wife's reaction..Oh God, another one. No, I don't feel at all guilty. Both parties were happy with the price, and that makes it a fair deal.
Now, can anyone let me in on what would be a good hunting load for this gun? I really have no desire to use PRB, so I am looking for a load for conicals. What do you use?
Thank a million.

Semisane said:
Since you got a REAL deal, you may as well give some 300 grain Lee REALs a try. :wink:
Semi,
I don't cast. Do you know where I can buy them? Cast & lubed would be ideal.
Thanks

Try some maxiball.. not maxihunter. Start at 70 grains of powder and try that. Its a real deer killer. Also the Renegades will shoot sabots if you don't use a lot of powder behind them. Try a 250 grain XTP or something similar.

Dang it tweesdad, there used to be a place to get them on-line at a reasonable price. I ordered a hundred or so about two years ago. I think the site was Black Jack Hill. But they must be out of business because when I go to that site I end up with a page of links.

I talked to Bill Davis the owner of Black Jack Hill and he currently was not up and running but was moving and wanted to reopen. Still, if he is like me, getting something started is not always easy.

That was a very good deal. Speaking of deals, I was in a small gunshop last night and ended up buying a T/C Hawken 50 for $75. Missing ramrod, but bore is spotless. Stock has a few rings, but nothing unusual. Just had to tell someone, my wife doesn't appreciate these things.

Tweesdad,

Shoot me a pm and I will send you a few 300 REALs to try out.

I need to reciprocate on all of the help I've received over the years.

swoter said:
That was a very good deal. Speaking of deals, I was in a small gunshop last night and ended up buying a T/C Hawken 50 for $75. Missing ramrod, but bore is spotless. Stock has a few rings, but nothing unusual. Just had to tell someone, my wife doesn't appreciate these things.

Nice! I feel your joy of a great Mz find.

Latest posts

Back