Got me a new Turkey/bird gun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daman1

Reaction score
Well, my great uncle passed back in August and had no children so after everything was legally taken care of we all agreed on what he would have wanted everyone to have....

Anyway I am the only one in the family that ever bird hunted or turkey hunted with him so my grandmother (his sister) offered me the last bird and only bird gun he had. He bought it last spring to replace a Remington 1100 he had worn out and got from a close friend of the family. It is a Winchester Model 12 12 gauge with a 30" full choke barrel. Needless to say when she bought out a Winchester box and not just a gun I was shocked! It is NIB, but shows its age. The gun still had the plastic around it, but had not been stored well so it is only about 90%. I am so excited. I bought some 2 3/4" turkey shells and a case of dove loads yesterday for it. I shot it yesterday evening with what I use as a test for every 12 gauge I touch 2 3/4" No. 1 Magnum buckshot. It put all 20 pellets in a pie plate at 50 long steps! This thing is choked tight!!!! It is due to they built Model 12's around the old paper hull shells and that makes the choke actually one size tighter than marked when shooting modern shells! I think with some copper plated #4's this thing ought to do well out to about 40 yards on turkeys! I am so excited to have something that is of this quality and a family heirloom. I know my uncle would have wanted it hunted with so that is exactly what I intend to do with it.

Thanks for letting me ramble,

Daman

I can relate to the Remington. I own a vent-rib Remington Model 1100, 3" Magnum, 30 inch full choke.

# 4's. That's my turkey gun. :)

------------------------------------------------
p.s.

My Remington was a hand-me-down from an uncle. He bought it when he retired, hunted with it a few years, then gave it to me when he could no longer hunt. That was 24 years ago, and it is now the only shotgun left that I have in my gun case. The Butcher is absolutely right...the memories do live on.

im sorry to hear about you uncle passing.

That sounds like a heck of a nice shotgun though! Winchesters always made good guns. Good luck with the new gun and make sure we get some pics!

The passing of family is a sad time, but should not be. He is in the great hunting ground now. His earthly posession lives on, and he will live on in memory, every time you pick the gun up. Not so sad after all. Good hunting.

Actually I am relieved, he was worse for wear by the time he passed. He had been broke all to pieces in a wreck at 40ish and burnt up in a military explosion in his 50's. He got cancer two years ago, but told the docs and us that if the good Lord was ready for him he was ready to see Him --- that he would not take treatments.

I do miss him, but I miss who he was before he got sick, not the pitiful frail shadow of a once strong man he had become.

Oh and FG the gun is very nice, it is the smoothest action I have ever touched and points like my finger.

Daman

Sorry to hear about your loss and I'm sure he'll be watching you when you go out with his gun

I stopped by the porting goods store this morning and bought some turkey shells. I got Winchester 2 3/4" 1.5 ounce shells in 4,5, and 6 shot. The 4's are regular turkey shells, the 5's and 6's are high velocity. I am going to pattern probably Saturday.

Them turkeys better watch out. The plan is to shoot the 5's or 6's first shot backed up by the 4's.

Daman

Daman said:
I stopped by the porting goods store this morning and bought some turkey shells. I got Winchester 2 3/4" 1.5 ounce shells in 4,5, and 6 shot. The 4's are regular turkey shells, the 5's and 6's are high velocity. I am going to pattern probably Saturday.

Them turkeys better watch out. The plan is to shoot the 5's or 6's first shot backed up by the 4's.

Daman
Good combo.

:arrow: March 15th isn't far away :bounce: for spring turkey season down there in AL :)

Marty

No it isn't! I am so excited... Y'all can have the deer and hogs --- I hunt them for meat.

But, Turkeys I hunt for pure pleasure. Turkeys and quail are my passionate hunting foes!

Hopefully, in a couple of years, I am going to have a 10 gauge BP hammer gun choke cylinder/half with 32 inch barrels to chase turkeys with on dry mornings!

Daman

Well I shot it today. Winchester HV #6 1.5 ounce turkey loads.

At 35 yards it put about 2 - 3 pellets per square inch which is awesome. At 50 yards, it put about 150 pellets in a 30" square piece of paper. I think I got an honest to goodness 40 yard turkey gun.

I really enjoyed shooting the old Model 12 --- very slick action!

Daman

Back