GPS Is Nice onX

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneshot1

Reaction score
I know we never get lost but after my wife sending out people to find me and I went the wrong way from my Pickup my wife decided I needed a GPS. Well after years it became outdated.

We looked at GPS's and they were High $$$ for what they were. I found onX Hunt but I couldn't download it on my Phone because it was so old.

Got a New iPhone and downloaded onX Hunt on it, $30 a year they Update which is a plus. I can use it on Federal Land.  I like the Phone and onX. 

I lived for over 40 years with out Electric, Phone and Running Water and did fine and now all this New Stuff is actually pretty  8) Besides if I didn't have Electric I wouldn't get to visit with you Guys :lol: 

oneshot

I've never given it to gadgets for hunting or just being in the mountains.

Getting a little lost is not so bad.  :D

OnX is probably the best ever made. Without it, it would be impossible to tell where the small traces of private land is where we hunt.

Only carried a compass in younger years, but I've added a device dedicated to GPS in my backpack when hiking or hunting.  Sure makes getting in and out of the woods a lot easier.

Love having a GPS. If I have to leave a critter back in the deep woods over night it makes finding it the next day real easy. also coming out of the mountains in the dark it can be a real time saver being able to head straight back to the rig to get back to camp. My 1st one was a Magellan and now use a Garmin. I think prefer the simpler Magellan I had.

We have Garmin 530's (Combo GPS & Radio)and love them. For my Wife's peace of mind I also carry a "Spot X" which sends "I'm OK" messages to her phone if I am in an area without cell service and am hunting alone.

I have a Garmin Oregon 650T With Idaho On X Chip in it, While i love it, i also HATE it, Now every Tom, Dick, and Harry can find things that Took some of us Years to figure out. I see out of State people Hunting Places here that NOBODY would EVER know if they didn’t Have On X Maps. If there was a Way of pushing a button and going back in time, I would be STANDING on that Button!

OldMtnMan said:
I've never given it to gadgets for hunting or just being in the mountains.

Getting a little lost is not so bad.  :D
Unless you are like a friend. He tied his Horse up in the mountains of Colorado and couldn't remember where it was  :lol: 

oneshot

FrontierGander said:
OnX is probably the best ever made. Without it, it would be impossible to tell where the small traces of private land is where we hunt.
Yes I hunt a lot of COE Land and it is nice knowing where Private Property is. I hunted for two days accidently on Private Property.

Our state now has an App showing State Lands and directions how to get there.

oneshot

Idaholewis said:
I have a Garmin Oregon 650T With Idaho On X Chip in it, While i love it, i also HATE it, Now every Tom, Dick, and Harry can find things that Took some of us Years to figure out. I see out of State people Hunting Places here that NOBODY would EVER know if they didn’t Have On X Maps. If there was a Way of pushing a button and going back in time, I would be STANDING on that Button!
Kind of like Four Wheelers, they are nice but some don't care about restrictions.

I know I got 3 Deer on Public Land. My wife helped me get them out. She said you get another I don't care how much the fine is we are driving the Jeep back there  :lol: 

What is funny is I hunt COE Land, can get way back there legally by Boat but lots of people buy Four Wheelers and go back in illegally.

oneshot

I have a Magellan 610 Explorist which I really like.   Does everything I need.  The 3-axis compass is accurate and the software is used friendly.  Only con is battery usage.

Hunting on public lands in some cases is a waste of time because of the 4 wheeler abuse (they are everywhere in some places tearing up game trails, leaving trash and being loud).  We use to go 10 to 12 miles off the road and hunt for a week and very seldom see anyone, now here comes the parade of every brand of 4 wheeler's made. 

Have now changed to private land behind locked gates and once in a while still see a few trespassers that are ticketed and run off by the owners and the DOW.  What was free to us a few years ago now has a price attached for the privilege to hunt.   :roll:

When I worked for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts 4-wheelers ( not 4x4 SUV's ) were always an Enforcement challenge.  Not only are they a soil erosion catalyst, but they often force big game on public land to go nocturnal.. not the best for hunting.

We have had the same issues in the mid west for years, they think it's their God given right to tear stuff up and let some one else repair the damage. 

Twenty years ago some guy from Texas came to Colorado, tearing up the landscape with his trail bike and someone shot him off his scooter. He lived after several operations, they never did catch who shot him. I bet he has second thoughts about doing such things ever again.  :(   :cry:   8)

Buck Conner said:
Twenty years ago some guy from Texas came to Colorado, tearing up the landscape with his trail bike and someone shot him off his scooter. He lived after several operations, they never did catch who shot him. I bet he has second thoughts about doing such things ever again.  :(   :cry:   8)

Unless he is a DAMN Slow learner, I have a feeling your Right Buck!! :lol!:

OnX Maps/GPS with State Chip is an Awesome Setup, I can follow a property line, even tell you the Name of the Property owner, His land Amount, etc. 
    There is a fair amount of Leased State land here that has been leased for Many Many Years, Lot of folks have no idea that it is State Land? Even Locals. It is fenced, Cattle on it, etc. Sometimes the Family leasing this Land will Post it (Not legal to do, but some stil do it) 
      Where i get the most use out of my GPS with OnX Map is our Hunts that are 1 mile of Private Land, These Hunts would be EXTREMELY difficult, to impossible in many cases without OnX Maps. 
    As I mentioned above, The Worst part about OnX in my Opinion, is it took the “Foot Work” out for Folks that have never been here, Places you NEVER EVER Seen Hunters in the Past, you now do! I see Alaska, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, (to name a few of the more popular out of State Plates) I see these Plates parked along side the Rd Going in on State Lease lands, How would they have Ever known this Without OnX Maps? 
     My Dad just asked me Last year, “What the heck is going on around here? How are these Out of State folks Finding all of these little Secluded places here?” I handed him my GPS With OnX Map Chip and said “Right Here is why”

Latest posts

Back