Green mountain fast twist barrel question?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ND Swede

Reaction score
How difficult would it be to buy a threaded 50 caliber 1:28 twist barrel from Green mountain and a breech plug from Track of the Wolf and assemble a fast twist TC Hawken barrel? GM sells a 1"x32" 1:28 twist threaded barrel for $115 and Track sells a breech plug for $45. Would this work?

Sent from my SM-T337T using Tapatalk

Re: Green mountain fast twist barrel question?

Im going to say yes if you have the ability/tools to do it or know a good gunsmith.. pretty much anything can be done.

First consideration is to make sure the plug & the barrel blank have the same threads.

why not get one of their cut rifled Blanks in a .45 18 twist. Bullets are unlimited in selection.Yes It would work

Sure it will work if you have the skills to put it together. You'll have to cut dovetails for sights too.

Re: RE: Re: Green mountain fast twist barrel question?

45cal said:
why not get one of their cut rifled Blanks in a .45 18 twist. Bullets are unlimited in selection.Yes It would work
The 50 cal 1:28 twist barrel is cheaper and I'd use it to shoot 45 caliber bullets with sabots.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Muley Hunter said:
Sure it will work if you have the skills to put it together. You'll have to cut dovetails for sights too.
I'd use a William's fp peep sight and a globe front sight so I'd only have to cut the front sight dovetail. Midway USA has a video on cutting a dovetail by hand. It doesn't look to difficult.

Where is Idaholewis? I was hoping he would have so advice.

ndswede said:
Muley Hunter said:
I'd use a William's fp peep sight and a globe front sight so I'd only have to cut the front sight dovetail. Midway USA has a video on cutting a dovetail by hand. It doesn't look to difficult.

Not hard at all. You can use a drill and file if you don't have a milling machine.

ndswede said:

PM him - he would help in a second!

This is a GM LRH barrel mounted in this old TC

IdahoWhite.jpg

This is the same barrel mounted in a Renegade stock

P1010006-1.jpg

ndswede said:

ndswede, I sat this one out simply because i have no experience in fitting a Breech plug to a barrel, I have looked at the same barrel as you speak of, and wondered the same thing? Personally I wouldn’t attempt it, if i could gather the pieces i would have it done by a professional. I would be hounding someone like our own 52bore to PLEASE put it together for me :D That guy knows his business :yeah:

I have become quite efficient with most of the stuff one will encounter with these Sidelocks, from trigger work, to Sight setups, And how to make them shoot to their potential, But when it comes to Breech plug stuff i am in the Dark, I don’t have the proper tools, or knowledge to tackle that particular stuff. You get 1 put together and i will do my best to help you make it shoot to it’s potential, That i can do :yeah:

Thanks to everyone for your help. I'll let you know how the project moves ahead. It depends in part on how well I can get my present mountain rifle (1:48 twist) to shoot longer bullets. It shoots 250 gr bullets very well. I'm going to try 265 and 300 gr and see where accuracy falls apart.
Thanks again.

ndswede said:
Thanks to everyone for your help. I'll let you know how the project moves ahead. It depends in part on how well I can get my present mountain rifle (1:48 twist) to shoot longer bullets. It shoots 250 gr bullets very well. I'm going to try 265 and 300 gr and see where accuracy falls apart.
Thanks again.

Some 1:48 Twist Rifles do AMAZINGLY well with larger bullets, and some don’t. My most recent Stock TC Hawken in .54 Cal does very well :yeah:

Stock TC Hawken 1:48 Twist .54 Cal, Lyman 57SML Tang Peep with Large Williams Target Aperture, Lyman 17AHB Globe Front sight with Lee Shavers BPCR inserts
MDzi224.jpg

460 Grain Lyman Plains bullet
Bicwc4J.jpg

Bigger Bullet yet! These might not do near as well farther out? I need to further test this :yeah: But 50-60 yards is VERY promising! The 525 Grain Grease Groove pounded right in there :yeah:
sGcve3R.jpg

hwZDIbc.jpg

I just read on another muzzleloading site that Green Mountain is starting production of their drop in TC barrels for Track of the Wild. It did not refer to a specific twist but I would call Track. viking

viking said:
I just read on another muzzleloading site that Green Mountain is starting production of their drop in TC barrels for Track of the Wild. It did not refer to a specific twist but I would call Track. viking

If this turns out to be true, and they make a run of Fast Twist barrels, AWESOME deal!! I know Track of the Wolf had some Green Mountain .50 and .54 Cal Drop ins back in the Winter Months, But they were 1:70 Round Ball Twist

viking said:

This peaked my interest, I just got off the phone with John from Track of the Wolf, He told me that Green Mountain has promised them more of the .50 and .54 Drop ins, in Round Ball Twist. I asked about the LRH (Fast Twist) he said Not in the foreseeable future. They are accepting back orders now on the Round Ball Twists, On their Website it shows 15/16 and NOT 1” So they would be for the TC Hawken Stocks in .45 and .50 Cal, and NOT the Renegade. The TC Renegades have 1” Barrel Channels. The TC Hawken in .54 Cal has a 1” Barrel Channel

I heard that TC had produced a million hawken rifles over the years. Most folks must be round ball shooters. Not enough demand for the lrh barrel. :-(

Confederate rifleman said:
I would love a pair of 45 1-28' S for my flint and caplock Hawkens.
No hard feelings for 50 cal 1-28 either...

I have always wondered why Green Mountain chose 1:30 Twist for their .45 LRH, when they went 1:28 Twist in their .50, and .54 Cals, Seems like they would have went 1:28 with the .45 Cal as well? I am DEFINITELY not complaining, My 1:30 twist Green Mountain .45 LRH is probably the best shooting Muzzleloader i own :yeah: I definitely shoot it the most. I own all 3 of the GM LRH barrels, The .54 Cal was a TRICK to find

Latest posts

Back