Green River Rifle Works Barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anonym

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, but I lucked into a .45 percussion barrel a while back that appears to be an old Green River Rifle Works barrel. It's a 1-inch flat-to-flat barrel, 32-inches in length in a slow twist .45. There are seven (7) lands and grooves, which is unique to the GRRW barrels. It has dovetailed sights (front and rear) and the under rib is a screw-on style but the ramrod thimbles are welded/soldered. There are no markings on this barrel other than a very light set of numbers on the bottom flat.

The interesting thing is that it's fitted with a TC breech plug and under lug and drops right into my Renegade. When I bought it, a previous owner had duracoated it a gray color. I've attempted to stip the paint and it has a very bad browning job on it currently. It needs redone, but the barrel itself is in very good condition with a bright, shiney bore and only mild evidence of corrosion/light pitting in the flats of the grooves near the muzzle and a little in the nipple area. Here are a few pics before I stripped the paint off and one after with pictures of my Renegade and Seneca (Renegade has a GM barrel on it for reference).

Any idea of value on this? She's a great shooter, but I don't shoot it often enough to hang on to. I've got too many other projects in the works to keep much that I don't use. If I were to sell, what would be a reasonable asking price and does anyone think there is much of a demand?

Thanks,
Anonym

barrel1.jpg

barrel2.jpg

barrel6.jpg

0914102214.jpg

That's a nice find Anonym. You ought to post a few targets shot with it.

As far as value, it's hard to say. A new blued Green Mountain drop in with sights and ram rod goes for around $200, so I would guess something around $100 for that one in the condition it's in, maybe a tad more if you can show it shoots great.

Thanks, Semisane! I got it out last night and shot a few balls through it. At 50 yards, standing, I got all 3 balls in about a 6" group. I haven't really worked up a load on it yet, but that was pushing a .440 ball w/ the TC blue stripe pillow ticking over 50 grain of powder. That big 1" barrel really sucked up what little recoil she has.

Heck, I might just have to find a nice stock and give her some full-time loving... 8)

Well, that didn't last long. Really wanted to hang on to this, but the wife is telling me I HAVE to free up some cash for another purchase, so I'm putting this up for sale in the Classifieds section. Price is OBO.

Think I might list a Seneca .45 as well. Sad day for me. :cry:

Latest posts

Back