Greg Roberts of GRRW has moved to the other side.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
Please read, we lost another old timer.   :Salute:

[ltr]
My name is Clayton Roberts and I am the oldest son of Greg Roberts. I regret to inform you that Greg passed away on May 23rd. He went peacefully in his sleep and was not suffering. He just got old and it was time. I  got a chance to visit him a few days before he passed and it was good.

When the Rifle Works went under, it was very hard on my father. He had everything he owned tied up in that business and he also felt a lot guilt about the people who put deposits on rifles and lost their deposits. I don't know a lot of the details as I had left home by then. As far as I know, he never went to rendezvous again and there is not a single GRRW rifle in our family. He told me when he left Roosevelt he was running for his life (metaphorically speaking). 

I want to thank you guys for keeping the tradition alive. Though Dad never used computers much, it really raised his spirits when we would show him your web pages and Docs GRRW page on the his site. I know Dad was proud that he was a part of that legacy.    

I grew up with the Green River Rifle Works through my Jr High and High School years. One of my earliest earliest jobs was sweeping up saw dust and metal shavings at the shop. I graduated to to boring and tapping breaches and drilling barrels very part time. There never was and probably never will be again, a place as unique and special as the Green River Rifle Works. The unique blend of people and uncompromising craftsmanship at that place was a major influence on my life. 

I've decided I'm going to build me a Hawken in honor of Dad. I have made some pretty nice knives from scratch and I think I have the skill set to pull it off if I take my time. Plus I've watched it done hundreds of times at the shop. There needs to be at least one Roberts rifle in the in the family. I just wish "Griz" was around to give me some tips.

Thanks again for keeping the tradition alive.

Peace be with you all, Clayton[/ltr]

Greg lived in Nederland Colorado back in the 70's, got to know him from the rendezvous in the area. At a state shoot Greg and Doc White appeared with sample guns that they were planning on building. The beginning of GRRW - Green River Rifle Works (several name changes before settling on GRRW). Doc and Greg became partners in a short time with Greg running the operation and Carl Walker as their first custom gunsmith.

In the early years (start up period) Greg would drive from Nederland to Roosevelt being there all week and returning home on the weekends. He would deliver GRRW guns to the local dealers (I got mine first as I lived the closet) when coming from work. Soon he moved the family to Roosevelt, now we had to pay shipping for our needs from GRRW (fun times.)  Thanks Mr. Roberts, God Bless you ...

Back