GRRW.CA - 1st J & S HAWKEN RIFLE

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if you ask me that was a huge mistake and if I were the poor guy that got the wrong serial # I would have been more than upset about this. Well at least I have proof now that I have the correct h02 rifle

Well Lou, it didn't seem to bother the owner of the mistake made, he was told of the problem at the time (he looks at it as a special pair - as do others he has shown the set to), in fact he just ordered another rifle from us. As long as the GRRW CA Record Books show what happened, the gunsmiths involved with these builds felt there was no problem. Just a mistake that happens to most of these small firms from time to time no matter what the product.

In the old days of GRRW there were no serial numbers for several years, then when decided a need for numbers and made available everyone was just grabbing a number and not recording what they had done. Finally Carl Walker setup the books for record keeping (controlling the books) and stopped the random grabbing of numbers on the different models. Then out of the blue Carl forgets to write down a Leman serial number he's building and at the same time Gardell Powell builds another  GRRW Leman rifle with the same numbers. They can't believe they have messed up on the numbering, Doc informs them they are shutting down and the numbering never got corrected (just before they closed the doors of the company). 

Those two guns were built for their sons and are still owned by Carl's and Gardell's sons, seen at the 2017 GRRW Rendezvous and the story was told of the mix up once again. They looked at it as good family history, when those rifles are passed to the grand kids the story will be reheard.

Buck Conner said:
Well Lou, it didn't seem to bother the owner of the mistake made, he was told of the problem at the time (he looks at it as a special pair - as do others he has shown the set to), in fact he just ordered another rifle from us. As long as the GRRW CA Record Books show what happened, the gunsmiths involved with these builds felt there was no problem. Just a mistake that happens to most of these small firms from time to time no matter what the product.

In the old days of GRRW there were no serial numbers for several years, then when decided a need for numbers and made available everyone was just grabbing a number and not recording what they had done. Finally Carl Walker setup the books for record keeping (controlling the books) and stopped the random grabbing of numbers on the different models. Then out of the blue Carl forgets to write down a Leman serial number he's building and at the same time Gardell Powell builds another  GRRW Leman rifle with the same numbers (just before they closed the doors of the company). Those two guns were built for their sons and are still owned by Carl's and Gardell's sons, seen at the 2017 GRRW Rendezvous and the story was told of the mix up once again. They look at it as good family history, when those rifles are passed to the grand kids the story will be reheard.
That's fine buck but when your spending good money to have a "collectors" item built I would prefer to have the correct serial #

Lou you do have the correct serial number for your Hawken rifle that you paid for. We kept our word in giving following serial numbers as agreed to for your beautiful pistol and the same for that really nice Hawken.

The gentleman that has the two Hawken rifles with the double period serial numbers loves these guns and has become very good friends with Carl once again. They had met 40 years ago and have now renewed an old friendship not only with gun building, both are gardners, fishermen and rock collectors. They have lots of subjects to talk about, that's the fun part of getting folks with like minds together.

Oh, bye the way even though the rifles in questions are great collectors, the owner is also a shooter and has put several hundred rounds down range with these guns like he does with the 30-40 guns he owns. Leif has one of the larger Sharp rifle collections around and shoots all of them. This is amazing as he's on a walker or in his wheelchair 90% of the time.

Have fun ...  :Red tup:

If there was a question (and there wasn't) the information is in the GRRW CA Record Book. What's your problem, we don't have time for this Lou.

Buck Conner said:
If there was a question (and there wasn't) the information is in the GRRW CA Record Book. What's your problem, we don't have time for this Lou.
Not sure what your referring to buck a question? The serial# issue is resolved. I don't have any problem buck ! Let's just leave it at that.

Sounds like this is settled Lou, you know how the mix up happened. And everyone saw no issues other than you. If there's a questions down the road on your gun and having the correct serial number, it's recorded in the GRRW CA Record Book, let us know. Doc saw no reason to worry about the mistake as it had been taken care of at the time. 

I understand what your saying and agree as you stated "Let's just leave it at that". Thanks for setting the record straight.

Latest posts

Back