New Rifles Have Been Ordered ...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
At my age I decided to have two muzzleloading rifles to play with (a slip-fit bullet gun and a round ball gun). Doc White and Carl Walker will do the honors of building this new toys. Doc is getting the barrel making put in process.

To keep peace in the family I sold these prizes today:

sale.gif

I'm cleaned out of muzzleloaders, now the new toys have been ordered. Parts are being assembled for both guns starting this coming week.

Number #1 (slip-fit bullet gun)
367/300 Super Slug Gun (BC= .33)
This is also an experimental caliber. It will be very useful as it betters the ballistics of the much loved 38-55 of yesteryear. The bore mikes .368 land-land, with a groove depth of .375. Twist is 1-14. Bullet is cast weighing 300 gr. at .368 diameter, then is sized to .367. It is accurate and hits hard with 80-90 grains Pyrodex P. It’s sure to be a good killer on deer sized game. Recoil is surprisingly mild.

We will use the Hawken barrel sight, adjustable Hawken style, with five step elevation riser, by L&R. Has adjutsment screws for windage which is nice. (Not a fixed iron sight, it does not meet N.M.L.R.A. Hawken match rules, but may be used in "adjustable sight" matches). For N.M.L.R.A. and other matches they will tape over this sight to prevent being used, making the rifle legal.

rs-ha-5_1.jpg

Soule mid range tang sight, the front hole is elongated to fit other brands of rifles. The eye disk is threaded to accept Hadley eye disk. This will be a test if the sight bar is tall enough.
rs-dp-soule-3_1.jpg

Use the blued steel globe front sight with a wind gauge knob to allow windage adjustment. It's slotted to accept classic Sharps front sight inserts.

fs-dp-spirit_1.jpg

Slug Gun.jpg

Number #2 (round ball gun)
.40 Caliber Round Ball Gun
This is going to be a copy of a H.E. Leman Squirrel rifle that was available in the 1850-1860's. Will use a 7/8 inch across the flats in .40 caliber 1-66 twist (round bottom rifling) Douglas barrel. L&R lock with quality parts throughout and the gun will be down sized to 7/8 size. Should be a fun project.

Again we will use the Hawken barrel sight, adjustable Hawken style, with five step elevation riser, by L&R. Has adjutsment screws for windage which is nice. (Not a fixed iron sight, it does not meet N.M.L.R.A. Hawken match rules, but may be used in "adjustable sight" matches). For N.M.L.R.A. and other matches they will tape over this sight to prevent being used, making the rifle legal.

squirrel rifle.jpg
I'll keep you informed as these projects grow into working firearms, testing with reports, fun stuff.
I was asked what such toys with cost ??? These two rifles with nice figure wood, good barrels with correct twists and really good sites will be about the same price as one of the GRRW.CA Hawken rifles @$2,100 to $2,300 each (sights make the difference).

Attachments

• rs-ha-5_1.jpg
    rs-ha-5_1.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
At my age I decided to have two muzzleloading rifles to play with (a slip-fit bullet gun and a round ball gun). Doc White and Carl Walker will do the honors of building this new toys. Doc is getting the barrel making put in process.

To keep peace in the family I sold these prizes today:

I'm cleaned out of muzzleloaders, now the new toys have been ordered. Parts are being assembled for both guns starting this coming week.

Number #1 (slip-fit bullet gun)
367/300 Super Slug Gun (BC= .33)
This is also an experimental caliber. It will be very useful as it betters the ballistics of the much loved 38-55 of yesteryear. The bore mikes .368 land-land, with a groove depth of .375. Twist is 1-14. Bullet is cast weighing 300 gr. at .368 diameter, then is sized to .367. It is accurate and hits hard with 80-90 grains Pyrodex P. It’s sure to be a good killer on deer sized game. Recoil is surprisingly mild.

Number #2 (round ball gun)
.40 Caliber Round Ball Gun
This is going to be a copy of a H.E. Leman Squirrel rifle that was available in the 1850-1860's. Will use a 7/8 inch across the flats in .40 caliber 1-66 twist (round bottom rifling) Douglas barrel. L&R lock with quality parts throughout and the gun will be down sized to 7/8 size. Should be a fun project.

View attachment 3190
I'll keep you informed as these projects grow into working firearms, testing with reports, fun stuff.
Great move! Fun little squirrel gun!
M

Get hold of Jonathan (Frontier Gander) he has a guy wanting to sell a Medina rifle (left hand gun) that really looks good as the one Carl built.

Last edited:
Now we have to sit and wait for barrels and various parts. That's the hard part of having special order guns being uilt.

Last edited:
Im not the one selling that lefty, it came my way from a fellow that emailed me the pics and info asking about it. But i do have that right handed hawken built by doc.
1 (2).jpg

Back