Had accurate molds make idaholewis’s i bullet in .52 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am using your altered NASA Lube. I figure you’ve done a lot of the leg work with this bullet no need change things up. I am shooting them out of some inlines but should preform quite well. .50 is cva accura with 1-28 twist the .52 knight bighorn with 1-26. Of course seeing what you can do with your TC side locks I may need to by the Renegade my local shop has. Although then I would need the 54-485i mold. FYI my wife is going to hate you guys! :D
I am new to casting so I will use your video on casting large bullets. I am sure it will take some time to get it down but with your videos and this sights help I am sure the learning curve will be small one!

My Altered NASA is my FAVORITE Bullet Lube, That is the Lube i just Shot to 1,200 Yards :lewis: My SPG Mixture is Darn good as well, but i prefer my Altered NASA over ANY other Lube out there

If you have ANY Questions, Just give a Shout and I’ll do my Best to Help ya :lewis:

Lewis, approximately how many bullets can be lubed from a pound of the Bullshop NASA lube combined with the 2 bottles of the synthetic 2-cycle engine oil?

I couldnt tell ya, i have never counted, or tried to keep track? It would depend on Lube Grooves, Depth, Diameter? I can say that it goes a LONG LONG Way!! I am stil on the same Pound from a Year ago and i shoot a LOT

AWESOME Deal! Out of ALL of my Bullets, I chose my 50-415i Bullet to Hunt Elk with last year, That say’s quite a bit about it :lewis:

What Bullet Lube are you using? Are you using an over powder Wad? If so, what material?
Also didn’t answer all of questions fully! I will will be shoot .54 cal ox yok wool felt over powder. Powder is hard to come by so it will prolly have to be goex or 777. I have both. I live near The Gun Works and they have goex and 777. I have had good results with either but again after viewing your videos I will get some Swiss to try whenever it becomes available.

I think I am going to go with a heavier, 4-band, centered tolerances, tapered version of Accurate Molds #50-415I than I stated above in post #2.

The reason is to keep more closely to Idaholewis's original design.

The new bullet weight will be approximately 398.9158 grains, in pure lead. As cast, not sized. To be loaded, and shot, similar to a Lee R.E.A.L. bullet.

At 399 grains, it just makes max bullet weight fo a CVA Optima V2 action.

The nose of the bullet is an adaptation of Accurate Molds #45-450M. It will measure 0.185" long, the radius of the ogive will be R.5, and the diameter of the meplat will measure 0.428" (85.6% of bore diameter).

0.185" Nose
0.060" Shoulders (6 x 0.010")
0.210" Grooves (3 x 0.070")
+_______
0.525"
0.320" Bands (4 x 0.080")
+_______
0.775"

415 gr. (W-W) × 55 ÷ 53 = 430.6604 gr. (P-L)
430.6604 ÷ 0.504" (band dia.) × 0.506" (avg. band dia.) = 432.3694 gr.
432.3694 ÷ 0.84" (bullet's length) = 514.73 gr. × length of any new bullet
514.73 gr. (P-L) × 0.775" long = 398.91575

BANDS

4th.----0.515"
3rd.----0.509"
2nd.---0.503"
1st.----0.497"
+______________
2.024"
÷______________
0.506"

Yes, my book for my cva says also has the 400gn max conical. Really seems to shoot the 460gn NE bullets well though.

How many of the No Excuses 460 grain bullets do you estimate that you have shot through your CVA rifle?

I haven’t counted but prolly around 40? Think I have about 10 left in the box. Have also shot close to 10 or 15ish of 420’s as well. They also shot well.

And, there have been no signs of overpressure, or any other type of damage to the action?

I have always wondered why CVA had limited their inline actions to a maximum of 400 grains for lead conical bullets. I speculated that the lawyers and bean counters did so in an attempt to limit liability claims.

And, there have been no signs of overpressure, or any other type of damage to the action?

I have always wondered why CVA had limited their inline actions to a maximum of 400 grains for lead conical bullets. I speculated that the lawyers and bean counters did so in an attempt to limit liability claims.
Nope, cva even offers a power belt that’s 440gn I believe. What I have been able to gather is cva hasn’t tested anything over 400? Not sure how true that’s is but that’s what I’ve read. And I think your right, they are worried some one would shove a full bore heavy bullet over 150gn’s of powder.

I e-mailed CVA and asked about the bullet weight limit. Their reply was that I could shoot any bullet I wanted, but that they had the best results with lighter bullets. (My Accura V2 is .45 cal.) I'm sure they were using saboted bullets. I've sized down .458 bullets at 405 gr. for my .45. Works fine.

Got the 52-530i mold today! Looks like a really good high quality mold! Can’t wait to try it out. But I did have surgery a week ago and will be out of commission for a bit longer but as soon as I am able I will cast and shoot them and report.

BD37FF27-7148-44A8-8CDF-720657B2EFA8.jpeg

DA1EED1F-0FF9-4AAD-908E-08E9AB8ED467.jpeg
Had a little time this evening to drop a few
52-530i. I did ten, 5 are close enough in weight to keep. First two the mold wasn’t hot enough but after that they were dropping good then my 2yr old daughter wanted me to put her bed so I made a made rush to get cleaned up and do that.

Pretty happy though, fallowed Lewis’s style of casting and it worked flawlessly. Hope to get some more done soon. Can’t shoot them for bit till I am healed up more but will post results when I do!

Last edited:
View attachment 15071
Had a little time this evening to drop a few
52-530i. I did ten, 5 are close enough in weight to keep. First two the mold wasn’t hot enough but after that they were dropping good then my 2yr old daughter wanted me to put her bed so I made a made rush to get cleaned up and do that.

Pretty happy though, fallowed Lewis’s style of casting and it worked flawlessly. Hope to get some more done soon. Can’t shoot them for bit till I am healed up more but will post results when I do!
Those are nice looking Boolits.

Gotta love that freaking wide meplat on the nose. It's going to hammer any game animal it strikes.

Back