Had to put down one of our Greyhounds

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRC

Reaction score
We took her to the vet on Thursday morning, but this is the first time I felt like writing about it.
Dixie was one of our 3 Greyhounds and was, by far, the oldest at 12 1/2. She competed in 51 races and then was bred once. They did not care for her well at the breeding kennels. We adopted her when she was 7 years old and found that she had to have 13 teeth removed due to lack of care.
Dixie had arthritic lesions all through her spine. She barely could walk and her hind end collapsed with more and more frequency over the last 3 weeks. Still, she was eating well and could walk around the yard. However, during the last 2 weeks she stopped eating and had to be helped to stand to go outside. It was time.

Here is Dixie after an exhausting time eating laying around outside. The green around her eyes is a flash artifact:
dixie_10.jpg

Here is Dixie in action again:
jesse_11.jpg

We still have Asher and Jackie:
20180410.jpg

Ron

Very sorry Ron! I know how hard that is on a family. When the back legs go out, its the best option to have them put down and end the suffering, especially when they don't want to eat. My first real pitbull got so bad that I had to carry him around outside, put a tarp down on my bedroom room floor and force feed him. Its hard, but in the end, once the hurt eases up, you know you did the best for them.

I am sorry, Ron. A good dog is a true friend. Losing them hurts. I like my dog a lot better than I like most people.

I was at the vet not long ago. My dog was collapsing at the rear from pain and had been. The vet said, "If this medication does not work to stop the hind legs from collapsing, there are no more options." I said, "But... He is so happy at the front end." He said, "That's what makes it hard."  

All this is to say I am glad that your girl told you that it was time. It would have just been awful for you if she hadn't and you'd had to make that call. At least you knew that she was ready and you did the right thing by her. 

I know I am grateful that the meds worked and I did not have to make that call in the face of a... well, a happy face. At least, not yet. He is in his 14th year. I hope my boy signals me strong when its his time. I won't be fit for public consumption for a long time when that happens.

Ron,
      sorry to hear about your four legged mate,  we went through it ourselves a couple of weeks ago, Poppy our lovey ridgeback who was 12, finally started going in the legs, a said she had enough and time to go.  We will wait a few years till the terrier is gone to before getting another ridgback.   
     It is good you did not hang on to her, it is tough making the decision.  We can at least give our pets a dignified and peacefull finish to a life well lived. 

Cheers 

Gordon

Thank you for your sentiments, Gentlemen!
Yes, it is tough to let them go. The decision is about them and their well-being, not us, as you stated so well.
We won't adopt another right now. mostly because the house is really too small for 3 large dogs. We may foster one now and again and prepare them for adoption. Of course, all of our Greyhounds started out as fosters and we ended up adopted them!
They don't necessarily make good lap dogs :D
jane_a10.jpg

Ron

Hey Ron sorry to hear about this. I know how much you and your wife love those Dogs. Like KC said I like my dogs more than I like most people. I still think about the day we had to put our last one down and I dont think those thoughts will ever go away.

Last week was bad for me too. We had to put down my male Bloodhound Haywood, He just stopped eating and just wouldnt get up He was not all that old but when we rescued him he had heart worms . We  finally got him free of them, but they had already damaged his lungs .Still have three more Bloodhounds all rescued ,but I sure do miss him.
haywoo10.jpg

Been there many times Ron, it's never easy.  :no:  Hell I have relations I would love to put down, that's another story.  8)

Latest posts

Back