Knight 45 and the 340i take one

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i decided to go hunt this afternoon when it started to snow. Idk why but i just love to cozy up in a tree with the snow at my back and watch that stuff pile up. I dressed warm and pulled on my snow camo cover ups. I dont even really care if i see deer. Well after about 45 minutes 2 fawns and a doe wander out into the beanfield from my right, about 110 yards away. Easy shot but pass. Watched them fawns frolic for about 5 minutes when 4 more does show up to eat. Farmers leave quite a bit of beans after a harvest even tho it looks like they got everything. Deer know it too. So i picked out the biggest one at about 80yds. I aimed right behind her right elbow and squeezed one off. She dropped on the spot. Well the other deer run around for about 20 seconds while i get to reloading. Then they all kind of paused to watch me but didnt wait for me to finish. The ran into some brush about 250yds away and just watched me for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile the one i shot lasted another minute or so before she quit moving her head. I waited a bout 15 minutes and was about to get down when 8 more does come out from the brush and are just focusing on the doe laying in the field. They're walking back and forth watching her lay there. I sat there til well after legal shooting time then started whistling at them. They never even looked my way so i started with the name calling. "Git outta here you effing idjits"! That got them moving. They ran off to where the other deer were. So i went down to take a closer look. I thought maybe i hit her in the sholder but the entry was a little high and just behind the shoulder. Exit was a bit lower and slightly farther back. Only hit ribs and lungs but she just dropped. I didnt find that bullet, would love to see how it looks. I can stick 3 fingers thru both holes so i would say it performed very well. I didnt need the extra meat so Ive given this deer to my neighbors who have 2 young boys and she's a (former?) Marine running her own small home business. Theyre great people so i like to do stuff for them. Im no dummy (no matter what jcnull says) i kept the tenderloins and gave them the rest.
I think the Gould hp might perform better in this kind of shot that missed big bones and the heart but a drt deer is the best case no matter what bullet used.
Also, this doe was preggers. First one ive shot that i know of. I thought that there was a really large bladder when i gutted her. But it was C shaped and there looked like 2 of them. Also not where the bladder normally is. When i cut it out it didn't drain til i cut it open and clear fluid drained out of one side. I didnt look any closer than that as Im not training to be a vet or biologist.
I think this one is a slightly larger than average doe and the neighbors will eat well this winter.
20211228_175426.jpg20211228_163419.jpg
Load was 80gr by volume bh209 a cut sabot base as a wad and the 45-340i bullet with NASA lube idaholewis formula. I may step the powder load down next year.

Hunting on a farm can be more like grocery shopping than hunting this time of year. Once the deer start herding up its just a matter of picking out the one you want. This is the antlerless only, on private land, firearm season. Its a very good time to test bullet performance. I have 2 more days available to me and i may use a Barnes 195 and a PR195 if i can.

Congrats, I haven't got out (yet) this deer season in Ohio. I did so well in Tenn. getting freezer meat 6 deer, that I didn't go out during the regular gun season. ML season coming up and I will be in the tree stand mostly observing unless a very good buck shows up.

Reason I ask I have a landowner that doesn't want to pay for a processor, so I have been working up any deer I kill there. He doesn't get all of the meat, I keep some choice cuts.
Another landowner will share the cost of processing if I can't do it.

Back