had to say goodbye

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had labs for 40 years but the one I miss the most was a little chocolate female. That dog learned quickly and I swear could read my mind. From 6 months on she never needed a leash and never left my side unless I told her to go hunt. A fantastic waterfowl dog and super on pheasants. She caught me more pheasants than I shot! I still miss her and its been over 25 years since she's been gone. I literally cried for 2 days when I had to put her down because her hips went out on her at 9 years old.

Last edited:
I have no words that would comfort you on the loss of your Furbaby as he crossed the Rainbow Bridge. With all my heart i believe he & millions more are waiting on all of us to also cross the Bridge. So we all can be together in joy & never to part again. I like y'all have lost so many through the years. They all gave us so much love, y'all do know that you never pick them. No Sir they do the choosing !

Sorry your going through this white eagle. We give them part of our lives and they give us their whole lives. My lab is 12 and we are approaching have to make the same decision. Been through it a few times before and it never gets any easier.

I too know your pain in that I had to put my boy of 13 1/2 years down. After dealing with death and destruction my whole career, this was without a doubt the hardest thing I have ever dealt with and was completely lost for six months and didn’t think I could choose to go through this again and had accepted this. Then one day while enroute to grocery store I had this overwhelming feeling to turn down a backroad to get there and saw a dog that looked very similar to my boy laying beside the road in the middle of nowhere. It was obvious she had been abused and dumped. Long story short, after 6 weeks feeding and gaining her trust I finally got my hands on her and she is sleeping on my couch as I type. My belief is, I was sent on a mission from GOD, but I’m not sure who rescued who.
Keep your heart open to possibilities, there are more good dogs that need a good home than good people to give them one.

to my dear friend Jack.
He was a 13 1/2 year old yellow lab and his body just gave out on him.
He was sharp and alert but couldn't stand or walk I have had to help him for the past year
I will miss him
Years ago I had a 7 year-old that developed Cushing's Disease Initially "Gizmoe" would fall occasionally in his normal walk. Then it progressed to falling down everyday.... then several times per day..... then several times per hour and not being able to get back up. That's how Cushings progressed.

Just this last March, I lost my 13-1/2 year-old "Roscoe" (pictured to the left). All those years jumping up & down furniture and beds finally disabled his back legs. Smartest & most obedient dog I ever owned and I still lament and cry about him now four+ months later.

I replaced Roscoe with Henry (min Schnauzer / min Poodle mix, breed name called Schnoodle. I hate comparing two dogs, but this new member of our family has a long-long-ways to go, to stop me from crying & lamenting about the one pictured on the left. Henry has been a handful to harness, sometimes common with getting pups as young as eight weeks old. However, we got Roscoe at only six weeks ago and he never showed this much mischief and lack of obedience.

Best of luck to you in gaining healing powers over your loss. I sure hope your agony gets relieved.... and mine also.

Last edited:
There are times when words fail, and losing a dog is one of those times. I have a sign on my garage that says “Heaven is the place where all the dogs you ever loved come to greet you”. Sounds like there’s going to be a stampede!

Latest posts

Back