Handguns for backup

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckmart

Reaction score
Going to Colorado for the muzzeloading mule deer opener. Can I carry (legally) a handgun for backup and protection, in case something rather large (bear or big cat) desides to make me the hunted? Having just one shot with the muzzleloader makes me kind of nervous. Thanks

Thanks again, also your Web page is great! You have given me lots of good information. Cheers.

duckmart said:
Thanks again, also your Web page is great! You have given me lots of good information. Cheers.

What caliber are you planning on carrying? I would suggest 357 Mag at the very least. I my biggest hand gun is a 357 so I carry it in the mountains. I would perfer a 44 but don't have the extra cash to buy a "mountain gun".

You can open carry while in hunting here.

Now that I know I can carry, I'm planning on bring my 357 Ruger GP 100 4" on this one, Speer 158gr hp Gold Dot should do'er.

You can open carry in AZ too. I also carry a .357 mag with the 6" barrel. A little awkward getting out of the holster but I know I can get 6 shots downrange quick. No messin' around. I also would like to move up to a .44 mag or even the S&W 500 with the 4" barrel. One of the ranges I go to has quite a bunch of them. Many have just 50 round or so through them because the people who bought them didn't realize the power they were getting into.

I think there were some articles in either guns and ammo or american hunter about this issue. It's sad that some states don't view safety the same way as others do.

When I bow hunt, I carry a Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag with a 7-1/2 in barrel. Not for the deer mind you, but I've had black bear come in and get just a little to close for comfort. I also have a .357 mag I could carry.

I carry a Ruger new model blackhawk 41mag with a 6 1/2' barrel for backup does a real fine job.

I realize something is better than nothing but IMO a .357 Mag is a notch or two too small. If it were me I'd want a .44 Mag/hot .45 Colt or larger. Really a .357 Mag is pretty weak for this use.

I hear yah, but I got to go with what have. But I did upgrade my round, went to Bass Pro this weekend and bought some Cor-Bon Hunter 357 180gr BCSP, I think with a well placed shot it will at least slow him down abit, maybe than I can give him the other five rounds, and see what happens.

I'll be packing along a S&W .40. 15 rnds just for good measure. If that doesn't stop'em then I'll have to run faster than my hunting buddy. :)

I have a neighbor who is a bear guide. He was baiting for clients during season and walked in on a very aggressive bear. The bear must have thought he came to steal his food. All he had was a .357 magnum Ruger Security Six. He said he pulled that and as the boar walked towards him gave him all six rounds. At point blank range it dropped the bear dead as snot. And he said it was impressive the damage it did to the bear.

The next year he went out, traded off his .357 and bought a 454 Casull Raging Bull Taurus Revolver. He said while the power of the revolver is most impressive, he flinches because of the recoil... So sometimes, bigger is not always better.

You want a real stopper, get a Desert Eagle .50 AE . I shot one of them once. And granted I have shot some powerful hanguns, but that one is really powerful. Almost too much for my book as you really better have a grip on that thing.

Thanks for the bear story. It makes me feel a little better about my .357 magnum. Even though most of my hunting is done in the desert I still camp up north by flagstaff quite often. So while I might encounter an angry pig while hunting, who knows what is to come when camping in higher climate. I do know people hunt deer with them all the time I just didn't think there was enough power for a bear. But then again, shot placement is everything!

Depends, around here [AR] I often carry the 44 Mag [we have a poacher problem and one of the threatend me with a shot gun once] and we have a lot of cotten mouths and copper heads and a few Timber Rattlers I usually carry one shot load with me. We have a few black bear and wild boar. I have been charged by both of course I provoked them by shooting them first. The bear only made about 6 step but he was only 20 yds away to start with, the boar was not a real big on but he run me up a pine tree took him about 3 minutes to drop. Lee

Open Carry

I do carry here in Colorado during Bow, Muzzleloader, and rifle seasons. You can openly carry here but just make sure it is in plain view and not concealed in anyway unless you have a concealed carry permit. Also it is illegal to ride in any Motor Vehicle or ATV with a round racked in the Chamber. I carried all weekend last weekend when I was scouting. Things are looking good this year. There has been a ton of moisture in the mountains this year and plenty of food for the animals. Also the mountains may get snow this weekend and hopefully the rut is on earlier this year than last year.

I carry a Glock 10mm and load my own loads of 200grn Hornady XTP's. I have had several bear encounters but never had to pull the trigger.

bbairborne no offense but all a .40 S&W aka short and weak is going to do is piss a bear off unless you get real lucky. I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Back