Shot Placement?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too use the base of the neck for shot placement. In Missouri we are allowed to use center fire cartridges during the firearms season. I use a .223 to anchor deer on my 40 acre plot. During our Alternative Season my .45 caliber muzzle loader works well too. Luckily my neighbors are friendly and appreciate me harvesting deer.

In my experience, the only things a heart shot guarantees is a good blood trail that, in your case, will probably lead into your neighbors property. I aim for the middle of the neck where it joins the trunk. I’ve kill dozens of deer with that placement and, in total, all those deer may have taken 15 steps.

I too use the base of the neck for shot placement. In Missouri we are allowed to use center fire cartridges during the firearms season. I use a .223 to anchor deer on my 40 acre plot. During our Alternative Season my .45 caliber muzzle loader works well too. Luckily my neighbors are friendly and appreciate me harvesting deer.
I have not used neck shots with my ML but have used it with my slug gun. I don't have concerns with deer going to other properties for recovery. Also, if the slug shot is a little errant, I have two more fast follow up shots available.

I know lots will frown on this but if you are confident in your abilities and gun, 50 yards and under heads shots. It’ll never make it to a line fence. Set out a small silhouette so it takes the deers attention.

Attachments

• IMG_7174.jpeg
    IMG_7174.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
I know lots will frown on this but if you are confident in your abilities and gun, 50 yards and under heads shots. It’ll never make it to a line fence. Set out a small silhouette so it takes the deers attention.
100% right. The only time I do not take a head or neck shot is on a running deer. being confident in your gun & your shooting abilities are the key to making those shots. The silhouettes are a great idea, besides being fun, it implements that mindset & training of the old adage " aim small, miss small ". Even a .22 in a deer dome & its lights out right there. Believe me.

Anywhere if you understand the anatomy of deer and know where the spine runs. But I often aim for the base of the neck where it joins the shoulders.

High shoulder is my main target. I've shot 5 deer with the flintlock this year, 3 were high shoulder and one was frontal so shot him through the neck. All down on the spot.
I agree bushfire. The neck meets shoulder shot is my favorite. If you can get a quartering to you shot. Aim right where the neck and shoulder meet dead center of the body in that crease. They will not take a step. It’s like a sledgehammer hitting them

I have a block I hunt that’s bordered by military grounds. They do their best to harass hunters in the neighbouring private properties, driving up and down the boundaries during deer season, yelling out to hunters on neighbouring private, tooting horns etc. and generally anything to scare off deer.
one spot has bedding areas on their side and feed area on our side. When they realised we hunt it, every year at opening they now camp in tents on their side of the fence to deter the deer from coming into our private. Mind you we have never stepped foot on their side nor given indication we ever would.

Needless to say we can’t allow deer to make it on to their side. Anchoring shots are a must.

Now that is the definition of hypocrisy; their fundamental mission is to kill other humans yet they deny you the right to shoot deer for food!?

About the only factual advice I have is anything from the high shoulder to the brain drops them in their tracks. I've killed several with neck shots and even if they are still alive and kicking they can't and still won't move. I've even neck shot deer and got nowhere close to the spine and they STILL fall DRT. And my preferred rifle is a .45 w/prb.

Come on! All you guys recommending head shots are giving horrible advice. Yes a brain shot will definitely drop them where they stand the absolute best shot to anchor a deer is a broadside shot high shoulder. Traveling with the PGC after deer season, especially along creeks, we've found deer that were shot in the head, missing the brain and had the lower jaw blown off or just hanging leaving the animal to die a horrible death not being able to eat or drink. But with the high shoulder shot you will damage some meat possibly the whole shoulder but that shot will break the shoulder and if you know deer anatomy will also wreck havoc with the spine and nervous system causing a DRT deer.
A heart shot is definitely lethal but the deer can run upwards of 100 yards. Probably far enough to run onto the neighboring property.
Check out the attachment and see where I put the red X. A shot there will drop a deer where it stands breaking the shoulder and the spine and also taking out the lungs. Now you have to shoot high shoulder. If you aim mid-chest you'll only hit lungs. Deadly but possibly not DRT.
deer anatomy - Copy.jpg

Come on! All you guys recommending head shots are giving horrible advice. Yes a brain shot will definitely drop them where they stand the absolute best shot to anchor a deer is a broadside shot high shoulder. Traveling with the PGC after deer season, especially along creeks, we've found deer that were shot in the head, missing the brain and had the lower jaw blown off or just hanging leaving the animal to die a horrible death not being able to eat or drink. But with the high shoulder shot you will damage some meat possibly the whole shoulder but that shot will break the shoulder and if you know deer anatomy will also wreck havoc with the spine and nervous system causing a DRT deer.
A heart shot is definitely lethal but the deer can run upwards of 100 yards. Probably far enough to run onto the neighboring property.
Check out the attachment and see where I put the red X. A shot there will drop a deer where it stands breaking the shoulder and the spine and also taking out the lungs. Now you have to shoot high shoulder. If you aim mid-chest you'll only hit lungs. Deadly but possibly not DRT.
View attachment 36149
That's the spot that I was talking about they drop every time

My primary spot is a lung shot. It's a big target that can be hit from any angle. Yeah I've taken head shot (does) and neck shots but only when it appears that the deer will escape with out ever presenting a lung shot. I hunt in Ct where there is nearly always brush, twigs and branches between me and my target. A small twig will deflect a head or neck shot enough to miss the spine or esophogus but even with deflection you'll likely still make a fatal lung shot. Another benefit is that it ruins no meat.

I have access to about 70 acres to deer hunt. The land that it borders changed hands about two seasons ago. The new owners are opposed to hunting. The best area to hunt is a hardwoods flat bordering their land. They will not allow anyone to recover shot animals on their property. Negotiations are pointless, they would rather the carcass, "return to the earth", than fall into a hunters hand. I've checked with my local game warden and confirmed they are under no legal obligation to allow a deer to be recovered. These folks are ruining a great place. They blast the music and call in poaches nearly every time I'm there. Luckily, the Deputies stopped looking for me and just send a text if they have a question. Going elsewhere isn't an option, as this is the last place I have access.

Now to the point, what would be the best shot placement in my scenario? I hate to loose meat, but I'm thinking through both shoulders with something heavy. Thanks for any feedback.
I appreciate your dilemma. I have a question. If your deer is unrecoverable because of your neighbors, do you get to shoot another one? You obviously can't tag it. This might be a bargaining chip for the guy next door. Because of his denying you recovery rights two deer die instead of one.

Back