Harvester orange sabot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksheep

Reaction score
Question if you use the above sabot with 458 bullets does it seem you need a hotter charge to expand the cup ? I was playing with a low end Traditions Tracker that I bedded and played with the forend and I’ve got this to go from 2+ to 1+ inch groups with the Hornady 300 hollow point with 85 gr fffg Swiss. But when I tried same charge under a Barnes 250 grain Tez but in a harvester red sabot the cup was much more flared with much deeper rifling .

Question if you use the above sabot with 458 bullets does it seem you need a hotter charge to expand the cup ? I was playing with a low end Traditions Tracker that I bedded and played with the forend and I’ve got this to go from 2+ to 1+ inch groups with the Hornady 300 hollow point with 85 gr fffg Swiss. But when I tried same charge under a Barnes 250 grain Tez but in a harvester red sabot the cup was much more flared with much deeper rifling .
I tried the orange 458 sabots with 300gr Barnes originals and 300 gr nosler bt and the sabots didn’t hold up well for me. Some would have one petal broken off, and some would have all petals broken off. This was with 100gr of blackhorn

I tried the orange 458 sabots with 300gr Barnes originals and 300 gr nosler bt and the sabots didn’t hold up well for me. Some would have one petal broken off, and some would have all petals broken off. This was with 100gr of blackhorn
Never had a problem with shed petals causing any issues unless they were damaged on loading. Losing petals is actually pretty normal for some sabots like the MMP Orange but they shot fine in a number of my rifles.

The Harvester orange is relatively new by comparison but the petals will still be thinner just like the MMP 458 sabot.

The harvester orange crush ribs worked good for my home cast lee 405gr flat base bullets. The mmp orange sabots had a hair more accuracy but was harder to load.

Used them in a CVA Wolf with the 300 grain Remington 45-70 bullets. They shot fine but I did lose more petals with them than other sabots types.

I noticed the harvester orange did loose petals but it didn’t effect accuracy.

Back