harvester sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oper2nyst

Reaction score
i just tried using one of the harvester sabots i picked up last week, just a dry push thru as i had the breech plug out, using a T/C 250sst, this particular sabot is black w/ serrations, the package did not specify any particular bullet weight so i assume that its the old formulation. anyway it started so much easier as far as shortstarting and the push to the breach was easy too. haven't had any experience with these yet at the range, so i guess my question is,is this normal as compared to the factory supplied sabots that i used last week[which shot very well] which were almost ridiculously hard to push down the barrel

Only one of my Muzzleloaders really like the Harvester sabots so far. Yes they do load easier and that's normal. I cant wait to hear your range results with them. I wouldnt substitute accuracy. You are using old formulation Harvesters. My friend is still using old formulation with great results.

harvester sabot

:( tried the new harvester's with the groove's in them,all i got was misfire's.they loaded much to easy in my rifle to build any pressure.wound up giving them to a bud for his hawken,not sure how he made out.
dond

Kinda wondered if those things loaded way to easy to create enough back pressure for ignition. :think:

dwhunter said:
Kinda wondered if those things loaded way to easy to create enough back pressure for ignition. :think:

That's possible. I have been mostly shooting 5744 and 4759. I have had no issues at all with ignition with Harvester sabots. Big6x6 uses N110 with them in both his Savages and his Nula. He has not reported any problems with them.

dwhunter said:

They are EASIER to seat than the HPH-12s but they certainly don't fall down the barrel! Now I'm NOT refering to the GROOVED Harvester sabots, but the .45/50 short sabot p/n H5045SB.

I've not had a single misfire PERIOD using AA 5744, SR-4759, OR N-110 with a 250gr bullet and heavier. Never in a Savage and never in the ULA.

big6x6 said:
dwhunter said:

They are EASIER to seat than the HPH-12s but they certainly don't fall down the barrel! Now I'm NOT refering to the GROOVED Harvester sabots, but the .45/50 short sabot p/n H5045SB.

I've not had a single misfire PERIOD using AA 5744, SR-4759, OR N-110 with a 250gr bullet and heavier. Never in a Savage and never in the ULA.

I think oper2nyst is talking about the "grooved" sabots.

yes, serrated/grooved, they just load too good to be true. not much harder than powerbelts in my side lock. just to clarify , harvestor makes a non serrated sabot that is smaller diameter than what comes with 250 sst from factory. as said before those sabots that came with the bullets shot well but were just about ridiculous to load

Latest posts

Back