Harvester vs MMP Sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davexx1

Reaction score
Have you found much or any difference in the accuracy, consistency, etc. of one brand of 50 cal sabots for .452 250 grain XTP bullets over the other when used in the Sav 10ML-II using smokeless powder?

Thanks for any info or feedback.

Dave

Davex
My savage seems to shoot better with the Harvester sabots. The Red Crushed Rib with .450-.452 bullets, and the Black Crushed Rib with .457-.458 bullets. Those combinations provide a snug and consistent fit. On the other hand there are some who's rifles shoot better with MMP's. It depends on your individual rifle.
Zen

I actually think the harvesters are tougher, but as far as accuracy, it just depends on your gun and the proper fit of bullet / sabot and your barrel.

encoreguy said:
I actually think the harvesters are tougher, but as far as accuracy, it just depends on your gun and the proper fit of bullet / sabot and your barrel.

That's really true. It depends on the bore dimensions. In my experience it really comes down to two sabots when using .450-.452 bullets, the short black MMP(what Savages uses with a 250gr XTP for accuracy testing) or the short black Harvester.

I ask this question about the two brands and types of sabots because I was not happy with groups obtained with the MMP sabot in my new Sav 10ML-II but I now suspect it may have been a heat issue causing the larger than expected 100 yard groups.

I got my new Savage 10ML-II, SR-4759, Hornady .452 250 gr XTP, WW 209 primers, and MMP short black sabots, etc. last year just a couple of days before our muzz gun deer season opened. I carefully assembled the gun and Leupold scope, then went directly to the gun range, and began working on a suitable hunting load. It was late October and the temps were still warm here in Fla at 85-90 degrees in the mid-afternoon.

My initial groups at 100 yards were nothing to get excited about (4" or so) but it may have been my own fault for not allowing sufficient time for the barrel to cool between shots. I would load/shoot, open the breech, remove the primer, walk the 100 yards, mark the target, walk the 100 yards back, reload the gun, and shoot again. I am guessing there was maybe 12-15 minutes between shots of which I thought at the time to be adequate, but have since read here the plastic sabots are very susceptable to heat. Maybe in those warm temps I needed to allow more time for the barrel to cool.

I may order some of the Harvester SB sabots and have them ready to use and can compare to the MMP sabots the next time I get to the gun range.

Thanks for any info.

Dave

The SB Harvesrter will load considerably looser than a short black MMP.
The Harvesters load like a MMP HPH24. The Red Crush Rib will be your best bet to get comparable seating resistance to a SB MMP.

I don't have a problem with loading resistance with the MMP SB sabot and .452 XTP but it is a pretty snug fit. I am just looking for the opinions from experienced shooters about what is most likely the better, more accurate, most consistent, most heat resistant, etc. sabot.

I fully realize that in the end the best sabot and bullet combination is what shoots best out of my gun, but many before me have already gone thru this and I look to their experience for information and guidance as to what will likely work well.

Thanks, Dave

My point is the Harvester may be too loose and misfire prone if you are currently using MMP shorts with .452 bullets.

As far as stronger, the Harvester gets the nod. I have shot the Harvesters and MMP's with identical loads, the MMP will fail before the Harvester.

According to Harvester, the "crush rib" sabots are designed to reduce loading resistance. Seems that would actually be much less loading resistance than the regular Harvester SB sabot and maybe less loading resistance than the MMP SB sabot.

I was expecting the regular Harvester SB sabot to be most like the MMP SB sabot.

Dave

If I read the measurements correctly, the MMP SB is the largest OD of .508 - .509 (and would be the tightest to load), the Harvester red crush rib sabot has a slightly smaller diameter at .507 - .508, and the Harvester SB sabot having the smallest OD at .503 - .504.

I noticed in the photo, if you look closely, the Harvester red crush rib sabot appears to have a slightly smaller diameter pressure cup on the bottom of the sabot than the rest of the sabot. Is that an issue to be concerned about? Seems the blast pressure would blow past the cup.

Dave

Dave,
Just wondering if you are planning to hunt fl with the savage during ml season. Just word to the wise it's breaking the law to use smokeless during the ML season. If you are going to GA next weekend it's allowed.

Yes, I do plan to use the Sav 10ML-II during the Florida muzz gun deer season. I hope to work up a good hunting load using BH 209 powder (legal here) during the next couple of weeks or so.

Dave

Back