has anybody tried this for a lube

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strong eagle

Reaction score
a couple of days ago i got 200 45 long colt lead bullets at a good price from wallmart. unlubed. im out of lees alox and i didnt want to use floor wax as its messy and flaky, good lube though. went to the internet and saw alot of youtube videos on home made lubes. am trying one. i filled a quart glass jar with the bullets and sprayed lemon pledge into the bottle, shook them around alot. now i poured them back into the box they came in. they are covered good with wax, drying slowly but they are drying. if it works out, it will be very cheap and possibly a good lube. i always use a 60 thousands poly wad behind the bullet so it never will lead. trailboss is the powder. tell me shooters, ever hear of this and am i on a good path or a bad path?

I think I would have gone with beeswax over Pledge. Pledge may work well, let us know.

they were dry this morning, all set out on a board. going to spray them again lightly. they have a nice even coat of wax and will be perfect for cowboy loads with trail boss and a wad. thank you you tube,and wall mart. my local wall mart has .452 lead bullets 200 grain for a reasonable price in a 200 pk. box. got to get some more. lemon pledge is easy to use and dont cost that much.

strong eagle said:
 my local wall mart has .452 lead bullets 200 grain for a reasonable price in a 200 pk. box.
My local WalMart doesn't have any components except Power Belts, Pyrodex. and Triple Se7en, none of which I use.

they even sell rifles here,(modern ones). as long as they stock lead bullets, ill buy them.

I used to lube my rifle brass for sizing with pledge and it worked pretty good, But I'm not sure about bullet lube. I would think the thin coat it leaves plus not designed for high heat and friction that most of it would burn off in a few inches traveling out the barrel. I might be wrong so let us know how it works.

you may be right, i dont know, but when i use a 60 thousands thick wad behind my bullets that prevents leading. the only time i had leading many years ago was with a bullet grease grooved lubed and real black powder. when i went to stiff 60 thousands thick wads, no more dirty bores and no leading. ive even shot unlubed round balls and with the thick stiff wad the bore stayed clean and no leading. got to keep the heat off of the bullet and also got to keep the hot gas from gas cutting. some one who i cant remember, taught me that many years ago.

a very easy lube to make is 45% beeswax, 45% crisco, and 10% heavy mineral oil.  Melt it all together and stir. Place all your bullets in a baking pan on their bases. Pour the mixture into the pan until it gets to the height you want and let it set. 
Once set, you can lift it all out of the pan and push the bullets out with a pencil or similar object. Try to avoid breaking the lube up.  Now your nnext batch simply put the bullets in the existing holes and add a bit more melted lube.

It might work if velocity is very very low. I'd agree with bronko and do the pan lube way.

yep, heard of it and tried it my self, a very good lube, cheap and easy. use a wad like you said behind them and trail boss. as a matter a fact i think i have some of those loaded like that in the shop. tell us how they shoot. also this is a very lid trick to keep all your leather shoes soft and lubed very well, spray them now and then with lemon pledge and let it soak in. brush the rest into the leather. was told over 30 years ago by a owner of a redwing shoe store to do this. ive been doing this ever since. even on your mocs.

Several years ago i bought a big bunch of Bore butter at a yard sale. Had several hundred Maxi-Balls bought cheap at Chairman Mao Mart: But the lube had deteriorated. Cleaned the bullets up and re-lubed them using about 1/3 Bore Butter and 2/3 bees wax in a pan.

Several years ago i bought a big bunch of Bore butter at a yard sale. Had several hundred Maxi-Balls bought cheap at Chairman Mao Mart: But the lube had deteriorated. Cleaned the bullets up and re-lubed them using about 1/3 Bore Butter and 2/3 bees wax in a pan.

That’s what I did, mixed BB and bees wax just recently while lubing my TC Maxi Hunter’s in .50
FC13CA3B-9FB3-48D5-9B4D-A11B8AFA66CB.jpeg37939EE1-ABC1-45C1-A7D1-F90776C6FF2C.jpegFC13CA3B-9FB3-48D5-9B4D-A11B8AFA66CB.jpeg

That’s what I did, mixed BB and bees wax just recently while lubing my TC Maxi Hunter’s in .50
View attachment 1757View attachment 1756View attachment 1757
I have about 100 cast lead conicals for my TC Seneca .40 1:37 fast twist. I want to start shooting, leading to perhaps only shooting cast lead conicals in it. They need lubed. I looked at many variations of homemade lubes. I was thinkin on somethin like 50%Beeswax 25%Ballistol or Bore Butter ( as I already have two tubes of it here ) & 25% Crisco . Any thoughts are welcome. I'm in north central Florida so how they hold up in the heat here until being loaded & shot. Also there are times when my ML will be charged, loaded, & primed ready to shoot for extended periods. How the lube on the bullets holds up in the barrel & or if it would contaminate the charge in hot temps we have here. I do not want my first exp w/cast lead conicals to turn into a PITA mess BC of the lube mixture I used not knowing any better is a genuine concern to me.

Ninering62,
That lube that I use is my go to for up here in Canada. Not quite as warm as your region. My advice would be to keep adding beeswax until you’re satisfied with the consistency.

Ninering62,
That lube that I use is my go to for up here in Canada. Not quite as warm as your region. My advice would be to keep adding beeswax until you’re satisfied with the consistency.
Right on Sgt. TY for your feedback. I just found on Amazon some absofreakinly outfreakinrageously overfreakinpriced " Tropical SPG Lube " for fellers in hot areas like me. And I've found at Midway USA( another overly priced things from many competitors online) They have Saeco Green bullet lube that is harder but not brittle to chip off for hot climate areas & from what I've read thus far both will do fine. Now it's just take a deep breath, curse vigorously under my breath & pay the freakin piper & try some of it out. LOL

EH Me I have never used the pledge, others swear by it, I have seen it used looks good, however I am a panner because it works for me.

Latest posts

Back