Has CVA changed something?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meateater

Reaction score
CVA is advertising their latest Optima release the "Elite" and stating that the barrels are manufactured by Bergara. Is this a change from the protrusion spanish barrels that they have used and received some bashing for due to safety concerns. These barrels are drilled then buttoned rifled and finished up with machine lapping. Bergara barrels are S.A.A.M.I.-centerfire regulated. CVA is even making some barrels that will fit the TC Encore. Does anyone have any info on these barrels and are they a better barrel than the previous or just more of the same.

MY understanding is that the muzzleloader barrels are unchanged but the centerfire barrels are from Bergara, whoever that is.

big6x6 said:
MY understanding is that the muzzleloader barrels are unchanged but the centerfire barrels are from Bergara, whoever that is.

"If you can't fix it, feature it!"...jim ;)

big6x6 said:

Their website lists the barrel of the Optima Pro as a 29" Bergara barrel. The Optima Elite page says it has a Bergara barrel as well. What this means is a drilled and button rifled barrel instead of drawn.

I have seen muzzleloading and centerfire Bergaga barrels for the Encore listed on Midway's site.

HERE is the link one needs to look at:

http://www.bergarabarrels.com/

NOW look at the BOTTOM of that PAGE:

? 2006 Blackpowder Products, Inc.;

Folks...Blackpowder Products, Inc(BPI) is THE company that was formed after the original CVA was sued out of business... BPI is the company that owns and HAS owned CVA/Winchester muzzleloading for several years. BPI IS CVA! Sadly nothing has changed.. I certainly would NOT go down that road for any type of firearm barrel period.

"If you can't fix it, feature it!"...jim

I LIKE that Jim! :wink:

"If you can't fix it, feature it!"...

I guess that was my question. I have seen CVA advertisements for years and they never plugged their barrel maker. When I saw the ad for the Elite pumping up Bergara, I assumed that they had moved their barrel manufacturing to a new company. Does anyone know the name of the company that produced the original protrusion barrels? Maybe Randy can chime in with some info.

Bargara barrels hired Shilen barrels as a consultant in thier barrel manufacturing to produce a quality barrel. As I understand it Ed Shilen is
endorsing the barrels. Oviously part of the consulting package.

There are also making centerfire barrels for the Encore. Some are in-country all ready. I would rather take my chances with T/C.

Back