Hawken Buffalo

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on your hunt and success for both you fellas. :lewis:

Great job, and congratulations on a successful hunt.

That's the Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken in maple, correct?

Did you use the 120 grains of ffg black powder & the 250 grain Hornady Monoflex bullet that you were practicing with back in July? If so, that bullet really hammered the heart of that water buffalo.

Tell your friend I said congratulations, and a big hello from the United States.

Bruce

Edit: What diameter do you have to size the Monoflex bullets to for them to effectively work in the 1:47" twist of your rifle?

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job, and congratulations on a successful hunt.

That's the Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken in maple, correct?

Did you use the 120 grains of ffg black powder & the 250 grain Hornady Monoflex bullet that you were practicing with back in July? If so, that bullet really hammered the heart of that water buffalo.

Tell your friend I said congratulations, and a big hello from the United States.

Bruce

Edit: What diameter do you have to size the Monoflex bullets to for them to effectively work in the 1:47" twist of your rifle?

Yes it is my missouri river,

I had a lot of trouble with the powder, you can't fly with it here and neither the guide nor I could find any in the Northern Territory. He ended up getting me some Pyrodex P, so I used a 110 grain load of that which shot well enough.

The first shot was from 35 yards, double lunged him broadside, then next shot was through the heart. He was in a river bed and by the time he got to the top of the other bank I put a third one in him. Got up the bank and he was done. Penetration was reasonable but if I were to do it again I'd use a big conical, just didn't seem to have the quick knock down. Mind you, my old man had to shoot one 4 times with a 416 Ruger and all good shots. Buffalo just don't like to die!

The Missouri is a 1:24 twist so suited to them.

Both of the bulls have nice sweeps to them congrats.they are pound for pound as tuff as the cape buff to put down

Both of the bulls have nice sweeps to them congrats.they are pound for pound as tuff as the cape buff to put down

Thanks mate, the photos don't really show it but my guy has broken a fair bit off his left horn and a bit off his right. Still managed a 46" spread as is though! I find photos don't do buffalo justice.

Now that's an achievement! Congrats to both of you. That bullet would look like a fly on the side of one of those critters so I guess BIG things do come in small packages, eh.

WOW, Congratulations on a successful hunt. That's truly impressive!

The Hornady really looks good and did it's job. Was your first shot a complete pass through?

Congratulations and with a Muzzleloader!! :lewis: When I went to Africa my ZpH was not able to get black powder of any kind. I was even tempted to load up some big bore cartridgesand stuff them with the powder I was using. However I chickened out as I did not want to spenD my time in Africa behind bars.

Latest posts

Back