Hawken gets a new Barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New barrel will need powder load and ball/patch/lube testing to find what it likes. Chances it will be the same as the barrel it replaces are small. The machining of lands a d groves and twist differences make for feeling it out.

WIFI image is the App i am currently using, I haven’t tried any other Apps, this is the one that was Recommended with my Borescope. Again, i am using an Apple Ipad (ios)

This one, This App gets a Poor Rating? But it sure works good for me, I haven’t had any issues at all using it
rBjRMSym.jpg
Hi Idaho,
If you go to any forum, you'll find that some things work good for some folks and not for others. I believe it is just due to the configuration of the computer being used.

Well, back from the range.
First the Good:
4 shots at 25 to be on paper.
Then first 3 shots at 50yds was a 1" Group :cool:
Fired about 25 rounds total, barrel is a shooter.

Now the Bad:
Same issue as the other barrel.
Pin hole in the breech plug, in the exact same spot as the other one 😢
Already talked to Ethan at TOW, I will be sending this one back for another replacement.
So frustrating, but hey I still have my CVA to shoot.
They must have let a bad run slip through.

Hylander is this something that could be cured with a wire feed welder? Shame to send back two good shooter barrels in a row. Defect yes, but I guess my thinking would be ask for a discount and fix I myself if it shoots well but I'm aware I don't think like most (so I've been told many times) LOL

Well, back from the range.
First the Good:
4 shots at 25 to be on paper.
Then first 3 shots at 50yds was a 1" Group :cool:
Fired about 25 rounds total, barrel is a shooter.

Now the Bad:
Same issue as the other barrel.
Pin hole in the breech plug, in the exact same spot as the other one 😢
Already talked to Ethan at TOW, I will be sending this one back for another replacement.
So frustrating, but hey I still have my CVA to shoot.
They must have let a bad run slip through.
Breech plug Chinese made? Possible problem?

That is ODD? I am sure those are Cast Breech Plugs like all of my GM Barrels. I believe they are Cast by Pete Allan (Allan Foundry, Blaine MN)

The problem isn’t the Breech Plug itself, it is the little Plug they use to Plug the Hole that Crosses over and under the Nipple. Some have a Cleanout Screw on the Opposite side, but others don’t. The ones that Don’t have the Cleanout Screw, were drilled across from the other side, and use the Plug (like you have) It appears those little Plugs are the Failure

I believe the small plugs are the issue as well.
I thought about having the plug Tigged, but I should not have to pay for this issue.
I also have a nice new Breech plug I could have installed but again I should not have
to do this with a brand new barrel.

I believe the small plugs are the issue as well.
I thought about having the plug Tigged, but I should not have to pay for this issue.
I also have a nice new Breech plug I could have installed but again I should not have
to do this with a brand new barrel.

I fully agree with you 👍

This isn’t the 1st/Only time Green Mountain has had Problems with Breech Plugs. I can’t remember the EXACT Details word for word here? But i can get close (This could be found easy enough by Searching, I’m just being Lazy about it :))
Back in the Day when Green Mountain was Producing the LRH Line of Barrels. They Drilled and Tapped the Wrong Nipple thread Pitch, Their fix? They drilled the Hole out and added a Helicoil, That didn’t sit well with Many, So GM ended up Re-Calling those

Some one at TOW is taking the barrel blanks from GM and putting on the breeches and finishing them correct? I have a flint version on order and TOW emails every few weeks that they haven't forgotten me. GM does not sell TC drop ins anymore are least on the web site.

By looking at the patches it looks like gas is blowing by the patches at every cut where you made the fancy cuts.
You might go back to round patches. I use unwashed blue denim (jean material) from the sewing center. I get .0018-.0020 thickness for my Green Mountain .54 drop in I purchased about 20 years back on my TC Hawken. Just about have the same sight set up on mine for shooting bench and X-stick matches. Then only time I shoot my percussion rifles now. I also have two GM barrels on two flintlocks. Both are .54.
You are doing some good shooting with those barrels. Hope you get all of your issues resolved.
Mike

Well,
I received my 3rd replacement barrel.
Guess what, it leaks in the same spot as the first two, between 11:00 and 1:00 o'clock.
I wouldn't say I am angry, but VERY frustrated.
I might just ask for a refund this time and be done with the T/C Hawken.
I still have my CVA that shoots just fine.

Well,
I received my 3rd replacement barrel.
Guess what, it leaks in the same spot as the first two, between 11:00 and 1:00 o'clock.
I wouldn't say I am angry, but VERY frustrated.
I might just ask for a refund this time and be done with the T/C Hawken.
I still have my CVA that shoots just fine.
They giving you the same breech back with the replacements? Odd a defect is in the same spot on 3 barrels. I love my GM percussion. Sad your experience is so bad

They giving you the same breech back with the replacements? Odd a defect is in the same spot on 3 barrels. I love my GM percussion. Sad your experience is so bad

There are other places to buy from than TOW. Dont waste your time and money with those idiots

The older CVA mountain rifles are excellent if you can find one. I have 2
Also a Lyman Great Plains are good rifles. Good luck

The older CVA mountain rifles are excellent if you can find one. I have 2
Also a Lyman Great Plains are good rifles. Good luck

I have a really good CVA Mountain Rifle :)
Just got off the phone with TOW and they are sending a return label and are going to refund my card.
So looks like I will be selling my nice complete T/C Hawken stock set.

Probably for the best. I wouldnt trade my CVA Mountain rifles for any TC rifles. My son won the Junior National Championship at Frienship back in 2005 with a CVA .50 cal Mountain Rifle. 2 49's at 25 yd offhand 44 at 50 yd offhand and a 42 at 100 yd bench.

Latest posts

Back