Hawken swallows T7 for the first time

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Hawken swallows T7 for the first time

Awesome day with 70 grains Triple 7 2FG, .490" Round Ball wrapped in .018 patch with Frontier's Anti-Rust & Patch Lube.

3 low shots are slight hang fires. Using a Treso nipple, I found that the T7 creates a hard crust in the nipple hole and for best results, I need to run a nipple pick after each shot.

My first 2 shots of the day were touching, then she started that slight hiccup and so I learned.... Pick the nipple hole clear before loading.

I am not a huge fan of T7 to be honest. I've had a hard time with it in the earlier years with inconsistent groups and of course, I hate swabbing when shooting the Inline rifles.

Today, I did not have to swab the bore once and the bore felt almost like a clean barrel when reloading the next shot.

I WILL be sticking with Goex for hunting, that is a 100% Guarantee!
100_0618.jpg

100_0619.jpg

100_0620.jpg

Bottom 3 patches - Left to right . <a href='/tags/1' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #1'>#1</a> - <a href='/tags/2' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #2'>#2</a> ( Cut slightly undersized ) and my <a href='/tags/7' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #7'>#7</a> shot. All the patches above look perfect as well.
100_0621.jpg

Re: Hawken swallows T7 for the first time

No crud ring with the hawken?

Nope, crud ring is from 209 primers. I also used the unknown caps I got from my girl friend for Christmas. They are thicker copper and do not fragment.

Unknown?   The tin not labled?

They were packaged in a plastic red container and labeled dixie gun works. Not sure who the actual maker is. They looked like nothing made today. Very sturdy construction and a metallic grey explosive inside.

The RWS caps I Have are in a circular red container. Maybe that's what they are.

Jon,  how did the nipple come out ?  Any crust there ?

A Hawken using T7 is like a Pit Bull eating Twinkies.

Bear Claw said:
Rocky used to ear twinkies. Mc Nuggets were his favorite though.

FrontierGander said:
Bear Claw said:
Rocky used to ear twinkies. Mc Nuggets were his favorite though.
I rest my case. Wasn't Rocky a bit.....overweight?  :D

Around 112lbs at his heaviest. I got him down to his average weight of 75lbs which was a lot better for him.

Back