Hawkens and sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I do like commonality of loads between my rifles. Keeps the logistics simple...
I shoot 230, 250 and 300 grain XTP's in my Firehawk. Superb bullets all.
My Hawken, with her 1-48 twist will probably not stabilize the 300s, as those require a 1-39, according to Greenhill.
Been shooting the 250 grain 45 in a Harvester crush rib. (they need a 1-49 &1/2).
The 230s are excellent too.
Today I tried the 200 grain. NASTY bit of ball! My usual 70 grains of Swiss, but a smooth Harvester as they load too loose in a crush rib. Not much shank on them.
At 50 yards, best 3 shot was 3/4 inch. Worst was 1& 5/16ths.
Not terrible for open sights! GOT to find me a good aperture sight for this rifle! She seems to want to tear a hole. The 250s did even better. Best 3 was 5/8ths and the worst was an inch.
So. Don't be hasty in dismissing a 1-48 for sabots. What is critical is matching bullet to twist. Then pick the best fitting sabot.

Is that a T/C Hawken with a 1:48" twist barrel? If so, that is real good shooting with factory open sights!!

What was the distance?

The shallow depth of the factory rifling, 0.005", is nearly perfect for sabots when you think about it.

Indeed sir, my .50 Hawken clover leafs at 50 yds with MMP sabots and a 250 grain Speer Deep Curl. I use a Williams FP-Hawken tang aperture and Lyman 17 AHB globe up front because of my declining eyesight due to age....

Last edited:
This TC Hawken is my laminated. She's bone stock. No mods at all.
The distance was 50 yards.
I'd love to put on one of Marbles new folding tang sights. All steel, fully adjustable and a nifty piece of equipment. None are listed for the Hawken and not sure if one could be made to fit.
To me, the Lyman sights seem too bulky hanging off the side. Plus, they're aluminum. I prefer steel.
This Hawken barrel is an M stamp, 1-48.
My Hawken and me are getting on VERY well! She's gonna get blooded this year for sure!
Have to try my Lyman Plains 400 grain next.
She gonna bite...

Shouldn't be any different than the Renegade that I had. It shot just fine with either 270 Gold Dot or 300 XTPs in .430" over 90 grains Goex or 75 grains 777.

It would do the same, wear out a hole in the target at 50 yards. 2" high at 50 would get me right on at 100 yards. You could drill pop cans at 100 yards all day long with that load.

I do like commonality of loads between my rifles. Keeps the logistics simple...
I shoot 230, 250 and 300 grain XTP's in my Firehawk. Superb bullets all.
My Hawken, with her 1-48 twist will probably not stabilize the 300s, as those require a 1-39, according to Greenhill.
Been shooting the 250 grain 45 in a Harvester crush rib. (they need a 1-49 &1/2).
The 230s are excellent too.
Today I tried the 200 grain. NASTY bit of ball! My usual 70 grains of Swiss, but a smooth Harvester as they load too loose in a crush rib. Not much shank on them.
At 50 yards, best 3 shot was 3/4 inch. Worst was 1& 5/16ths.
Not terrible for open sights! GOT to find me a good aperture sight for this rifle! She seems to want to tear a hole. The 250s did even better. Best 3 was 5/8ths and the worst was an inch.
So. Don't be hasty in dismissing a 1-48 for sabots. What is critical is matching bullet to twist. Then pick the best fitting sabot.
I ise sabots in my.58 1:48 navy arms morse carbine and it destroys things just fine.mmp makes .58/.45 sabots.

Latest posts

Back