He shoots, he scores!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minnesota

Reaction score
I filled my bonus tag tonight! A nice healthy doe. She came out at 5:30 tonight at about 25 yards. First shot spined her, so she dropped in her tracks. But she kept trying to get up, so I got down and put another arrow in her, which was tricky since she was moving all around. That probably would have finished her, but I couldnt stand watching her suffer, so I put a 3rd arrow in her, and that did it. Normally I butcher my own deer, but this one I am taking in to the butcher. Temps are going to be in the low to mid 50's tonight. She is in the back of my truck on ice.

null_zpsba609dd3.jpg

null_zps6b8b4e78.jpg

congratulations. i'm going to try for the first time tommorrow evening with my new crossbow.

I carry a NA Arms mini-derringer that shoots .22 shorts for just that situation. It has finished off over 25 deer over the years. One tiny little hole between the eye and ear does the trick.

A hearty congratulations on your deer. Good work.

:cheers:  Congrats BigDaddy  :!:  

-------------------------------------------
p.s.  Wow...you have an early bow season out there in Minnesota.  Mine doesn't start 'til October 21st. 

Time for you to do some cookin" ;)

:D :) 

Good going BigDaddy :!: :!: :!:  Nice looking doe and by the way, whata cookin' today :?:  Do I smell back straps on the grill :?: :?: :?: 

Ray..........:shooter:

hawgslayer said:
:D :) 

Good going BigDaddy :!: :!: :!:  Nice looking doe and by the way, whata cookin' today :?:  Do I smell back straps on the grill :?: :?: :?: 

Ray..........:shooter:
You sure do!!!! Anyone care to share how they cook their backstraps?

I like them on the grill.  Lightly salt and pepper, a little olive oil, cook them medium rare.  Enjoy!

Congrats BigDaddy !

IMHO most game taste better and are much more tender if you eat it rare to med rare .

That's the way we eat ours too. Cut them about 1 1/4" thick, sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper or Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning and cook until medium rare or less.

I cook teal and wood ducks the same way.

Pato you must try to cook it with out any salt or spices , when its to taste you take a piece and pat it on a board that has crushed rock salt , pepper and balsamic vinegar on it . Very tasty !

Smokin' Joe said:
I like them on the grill.  Lightly salt and pepper, a little olive oil, cook them medium rare.  Enjoy!
Yep.. pretty much the same here.  Cooked quickly on the grill  ( and flavored to personal taste ).

sliced thin and fried in butter (about a minute a side) with a little salt and pepper. had them last wednesday!

patocazador said:
I carry a NA Arms mini-derringer that shoots .22 shorts for just that situation. It has finished off over 25 deer over the years. One tiny little hole between the eye and ear does the trick.

A hearty congratulations on your deer. Good work.
Rules may vary but I would not dare put a bullet in a deer during bow season. That is asking for trouble with the law. Also a .22 isn't a legal hunting round and I wouldn't do that in gun season either. 

I know common sense should prevail, but common sense just isn't common any more. Look at all the places the government shut down last week that don't even use federal assistance. It's not worth it IMO

I've seen deer "finished off" with .30-06s that looked like a grenade was used. I have a CWL so that part is not a problem. If they can see the tiny hole and say something, I'll just tell the truth. There might be one with common sense out there.

Technically, I think you're right but I just do what seems to be the best solution for the situation.

I took a "newbie" with me during muzzleload season a few years ago. He kept jabbering so much at the truck that I left without my shooting pouch that contained extra bullets and powder charges. As it turned out I shot a 6 point high and spined him. I didn't have my .22 short for some reason so I had to bulldog the deer, avoid the antlers, and puncture his lung cavity with an "Oldtimer" folding pocket knife (not a lock-blade). It took that deer over 20 minutes to die. I haven't forgotten that .22 since.

Here's a photo of that deer.

FE6pt3web.jpg

patocazador said:
I took a "newbie" with me during muzzleload season a few years ago. He kept jabbering so much at the truck that I left without my shooting pouch that contained extra bullets and powder charges. As it turned out I shot a 6 point high and spined him. I didn't have my .22 short for some reason so I had to bulldog the deer, avoid the antlers, and puncture his lung cavity with an "Oldtimer" folding pocket knife (not a lock-blade). It took that deer over 20 minutes to die. I haven't forgotten that .22 since.
I sympathize with you. Of the 3 deer I have spined, I've only had one that wasn't DOA in its tracks - instantly. That one required me to back off and dispatch it quickly with a shotgun. No fun.

Latest posts

Back