Heads up on Deer Creek American Pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I like the barrel just the way it is. Kind of matches the rest of the trim.

Keeping the barrel in the white is the best and fasted way to acquire a nice patina and make the gun look old.

The barrel was a rusted mess when I got it - deep pitting that still isn't all gone. I need to protect it or it will be a rusted mess again. I like the way it looks in the white but I'm not a fastidious guy and need something that won't take constant attention.

I also like blued barrels better than browned ones.

I'm Finished! (for the time being).

I did another Express Bluing on the small parts, 6 in total, and 2 on the barrel. After boiling the parts and before they cooled, I added a heavy coat of Perma Blue paste. It really made the small parts stand out. They're a deep black color now. However, the barrel was a pain because there's no place to hold it that doesn't cause an interruption in the blue coat so it wound up uneven with lines and blotches. It's also extremely difficult to get the barrel heated uniformly so that the bluing is uninterrupted. It was helped by the Perma Blue but not nearly as much. It turned out being blotchy blue and brown.

I may go back and re-do the barrel but I'm sick of this stuff right now.

Here's the steps with the semi-finished gun last:

Parts after much work.
CVAMtnPistolpartsWEB_zps2e93db1c.jpg

First fitting.
MountainPistol1web_zps5cae4dd3.jpg

Second fitting.
AssembledCVA-web_zpsf6af05c0.jpg

Final assembly.
FirstBluingCVARweb_zpsfb48a658.jpg

Left side.
FirstBluingCVALweb_zps53056b28.jpg

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers: 

Bob,
That's a great looking pistol you have there. You did a nice job :!: Lets see how she shoots :Red tup: 

Ray............ :thumbs up:

hawgslayer said:
:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers: 

Bob,
That's a great looking pistol you have there. You did a nice job :!: Lets see how she shoots :Red tup: 

Ray............ :thumbs up:
Thanks Ray. I'm waiting for some .480 balls I ordered from Graf's. They have a notice that it is taking a week just to process orders plus shipping time on top of that so it'll be a while before I get some balls to shoot.  :x 

Darn you! Now I've got to figure out a way to come up with money for one of these in percussion. Really a great job on your pistol! :hats off:

You'd better have $650 laying around for a Howdah kit. I saw one on Dixie that was a combo .50 cal x 20 ga. and it was marked down to ~$650 for a kit.

Latest posts

Back