Hearing Protection?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot only with muffs and usually soft plugs as well. I have a set of electronic muffs that kick in protection when the decibel level is too high, but find these are not adequate for shooting by themselves. I also wear a pair of ballistics glasses over my prescription glasses.

I haven't been able to hear a deer walking in the leaves for many years!!
A lot of shooting, dove hunting, as a teenager and a lot of chain saws for 4 or 5 years without protection did me in!!
That'll do it. My right ear was never the same after a rock concert decade's ago.

HUH? What's that? LOL. Yes at 70 years young I've shot many times without hearing protection and now need hearing aids. Now I don't really need other hearing protection because my devices shut down any damaging noise.
Before I got the hearing aids my audiologist recommended both ear plugs and muffs even when cutting the grass.
I strongly recommend both hearing and eye protection when shooting.

"in ear" hearing protecting & aids. I own a set that's about 6 years old (disposable battery type). I'd like to buy a set of rechargeable "in ear" protectors / aids. I was having a problem when using during hunting, I'd sweat & the hearing aids would shut down. Also disposable battery life wasn't practical. What brands do you guys use ?

Do you wear ear protection when shooting your flintlocks or percussions?

Yes, to preserve what little is left of my hearing. i spent a career in US Army EOD and continued the same line of work for another 30 years. i never protected my hearing from the big booms or while shooting. Now my hearing is shot and a must ask folks to repeat their statements. Yep, i have hearing aids, but they do nothing for the ringing in the ears. They also amplify any background noise.

Friend: "Can't you hear that rattlesnake"?

Me: "What rattlesnake would that be"?

Friend: "That one, while pointing at a 6 foot, 6 inch western diamondback rattlesnake eight feet away."

Latest posts

Back