Heat , loose forearm or both ??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UtahRob

Reaction score
I went out and did some shooting with Bh 209 again today and my first 4 shots were all touching then all my shots opened up and i could not get a good group . It was around 98 degrees when i was shooting . In this heat the barrel would not cool down . I had to wait a least 10 minutes between shots to get any decent groups . Even then they were nowhere near what i i normally get with my Encore . When i returned home i noticed my forearm had loosened up like crazy . Do you think my bad groups were the heat or loose forearm or most likely both. :?: Also do you have any hints on how to keep my Butt stock and forearm from coming loose . One or the other loosen up at least every other time i shoot .
Thanks -
RobK.

You might try a small hard O-ring or lock washer...

I could be all wet because I've owned and Encore for 2 weeks and just sold it, but my first outing was like that and I put a small HARD rubber O-ring between each forend screw and the barrel. Second time out it stayed tight, but I didn't shoot quite as much. I tried a soft O-ring but it deformed too much and made me nervous. A lock washer might do the trick as well and give you more secure float.

frontier gander said:
Both.

Encore i hear is picky the amount of pressure put on the forearm.

I free floated the forearm and the only place that there is contact is the screws. But ever since i did that , the forearm will not stay tight . :roll: Also the holes for the screws in the forearm are larger than the screws , allowing the forearm to move when the screws loosen up at all .

I had an Encore that did the same thing.What I did to fix the problem was to just add a TINY DROP of Loctite to the bolts.I know some will say not to,but I have never had a problem.Every once and a while you'll have to clean up the old Loctite from the threads,which is no big deal.Hope this helps.

You might check your hinge pin and see if it is rotating over time due to opening and closing. My Pro Hunter had problems with this causing my groups to be larger than expected. I ended up using some of that foil tape on both side the reciever to keep it from rotating. It really helped out.

MuleyQuest said:
You might check your hinge pin and see if it is rotating over time due to opening and closing. My Pro Hunter had problems with this causing my groups to be larger than expected. I ended up using some of that foil tape on both side the receiver to keep it from rotating. It really helped out.

I replaced the hinge pin with a two peace one that does not rotate , so the hinge pin and the receiver have no left to right movement and the hinge pins does not rotate. The next time i go out will be in the early am and i will make sure the forearm and stock are tight and see what happens.

Well i just ordered a walnut stock so i dont have to keep messing with a loose forearm and stock . :D :D

5979.jpg

Rob, superglue a couple of thin metal washers on the inside of the loose forearm. The washers should just allow passage of the retainer screw and be trimmed to fit the stock channels. You can also avoid sanding to free-float the remainder of the forearm using the right washer thickness. Those washers should also add enough thickness to keep the retaining screws from bottoming out (which is probably what is happening now).

The price of that mod is minimal and the only problem it might create is a loose ramrod, which is easily cured. Your wood forearm may have the same issues.

frontier gander said:
will look great! Never cared for the cheap synthetic stocks tc uses.

FG

Is it really necessary to have a free floating barrel on a muzzleloader ??
Does your new Omega with the laminated stock , have a free floating barrel ??

Thanks -
Rob.

Omega does not seem to care

My Fluted Omega has worn 4 different stocks in its lifetime and I can't say for sure how it did with the plastic thumbhole but know for a fact that it's done 1/2" at 100 with the other 3 and across 2 owners. One of the stocks was floated, one had lots of pressure on the front, and the laminated I have now rubs on one side. IMO, it's a pretty stiff tube and doesn't make much if any difference whether its floated, rubbing or even if you have a bent rod in it. The 2 piece design of the Encore may not be as forgiving.

The walnut stock came today . :D

I sure love the feel of the wood over plastic and it sure looks better . :D

rlp10ml said:
I had an Encore that did the same thing.What I did to fix the problem was to just add a TINY DROP of Loctite to the bolts.I know some will say not to,but I have never had a problem.Every once and a while you'll have to clean up the old Loctite from the threads,which is no big deal.Hope this helps.

Even though i now have the Walnut stock i prepared my plastic stock using your advise . :D I used a 6mm ss flat washer glued in the forearm holes . It worked perfect , the outside diameter fits flush with the stock and the inside holes of the washer fit perfectly with the screws. No more left or right movement even with the scews slightly loose and when tight they should no longer loosen up .

Thanks -
RobK.

Latest posts

Back