Hello from Houston Texas

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, I shot a couple of muzzleloaders years ago and always wanted one. I found a muzzleloader barrel for the Mossberg 500 and decided to give it try. It is used and I think there is no ejector for the 209 primer so I may have just invested in a piece of junk. I don't know what the breach end of this thing is supposed to look or exactly how I'm supposed to remove the primer. I have not yet invested in primers, bullets, or powder.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Can someone post a picture of the breach end of theirs?

Looking forward to shooting this thing someday, but I think I got taken for a ride.

Welcome from Oklahoma.
I don't know how those things are supposed to work. Hope you didn't pay too much for it.
You'd probably be better off just buying a muzzleloader.
A CVA Wolf is an inexpensive gun to start with.

Welcome EddieS. Those Mossberg ML conversion barrels are not intended to eject spent primers. You need to get a 209 primer capper tool that will let you load a primer and pop out the spent primer too. Like the one CVA sells. They also are kind of leaky/dirty in the breech when fired. But they are very accurate barrels. I had one and traded it away and totally regret it. They are pretty rare and usually bring a good price new or used. They can be a little tough to clean because of not coming apart, non removable breech plug. I would recommend cleaning it after use then clean it again thoroughly a couple days later. Flush it well and oil it up good. They were made by Mossberg and rumored to be made of the same steel Mossy makes all their barrels from. Sights are just std fold down shotgun sights but Williams probably has something nice to replace it with. Scopes would be mounted to the receiver separate from the barrel so you may not get great accuracy out past 100yds. I never checked mine and have heard they were 1:28” twist but have heard at least one person claim they were faster at 1:24” twist rate. I would love to hear for certain if you know what twist yours is.
I believe they were meant to make the already awesome Mossberg 500A an even more versatile hunting gun. I have 2 500A’s and wouldn't trade them for anything. That all said i would take that barrel off your hands if you want to be rid of it.

Last edited:
Welcome from central Indiana.

Welcome to the Forum! 🤠

Lots of knowledgeable, helpful folks here. 👍

Also one on the most “polite” Forums on the ‘net! ❤️

+1 on a little forked tool, to pop the spent primer out. Something like this:
https://muzzle-loaders.com/collecti...actor-tool-209-primers-capper-decapper-mz1514(One of many good vendors out there… they often have free shipping on accessories!)

Totally different animal, but… on my Omega, if I put a finger on each side of the spent primer, it nearly falls out.

If I pry under one side with a fingernail, it almost locks in place- especially if the breech plug primer pocket has some residue in it. AMAZING the difference in resistance, to me!

It might take some fooling around, to find the “right” technique for your barrel. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I have put two rounds through it so far. (I live in the county, but I don't want a lot of attention from the neighbors) I'm waiting on a proper powder flask because I think a Range Master might think pouring into the powder measure through my little paper funnel was sketchy. Lol. I would feel like a fool if I got in trouble for dumping powder on the shooting bench.

I was able to "flick" the primer out with the tip of my knife. I also ordered new Williams sights for it as my front sight is broken and the rear sight was apparently damaged in shipping. Or at least the seller didn't mention the rear was damaged.

Back