Hello , new old guy here .

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marlinmonty

Reaction score
Howdy fellas . glad I found this place as I have been reading all I could here lately . A bad thing happened to me this ML season . Had a monster parked at 213 yards in a field and there I sat with my Omega , 295PB, on 2 pellets of 777 . Guess what I want to fix ? LOL .

I am reading a lot on the forum to better understand the challenge of a 200+ yard shot on 150 lb. buck from a treestand . Prolly never happen again but I want to be ready . Looking at the CVA PR ,nit. Mainly for ease of cleaning .

MM

Welcome aboard. I found this forum many years ago also from searching for better performance out of muzzleloading and man did I ever find it. Your in for a fun journey.

No matter what rifle you choose....a 295gr PB over 2 pellets is a pretty poor choice to get that far out there. The load is slow and the BC is horrible. Plus its expensive for what you get in return.

No matter what rifle you choose....a 295gr PB over 2 pellets is a pretty poor choice to get that far out there. The load is slow and the BC is horrible. Plus its expensive for what you get in return.

Yes sir agree . It worked fine on a coyote at 125 creaping away from me after some deer earlier in the season . Best shot and longest I ever made with the Omega for sure . Never shot it that far before figured I had 8" wide by 20" long target I should be able to kill it and was only about 4 low from where I aimed . But yes much to far at 213 yards to be trying to shoot a buck . Gotta say the PB and 2 pellets of 777 work darn good out of the Omega at 100ish yards on all deer I have shot with it . But I want to be able with confidance to 250 ? I don't know if the Omega has it in it to do that or not , so here I am , hat in hand , needing some guidance in my 200ish yard deer quest .

Stick with the Omega. But try different bullets. And then try different powders. All that money you will save can buy a lot of bullets and powder. Try some 250 - 300 grain sabot bullets and T7 ffg or BH209.

Welcome, a newbie here as well.It sounds like you are needing to improve trajectory by more power and a different bullet in a sabot.
Slowly increasing charges with the new bullets will hopefully get you on your desired track.
This may be better suited to using loose powder for the small incremental changes in the loads.
Practice at the various ranges is a must.IMHO.Best of luck.

Welcome to the group!
I love my CVA Mountain Rifle, longest shot so far was 150 yards at a 150# pig.
Shot was close to aim, maybe 1" low but still longer than I was sure of...
Practice and a good dope chart will go a long way, also be aware of the wind as it will cause a lot of grief beyond 100 yards!
Best bet is to practice woodsman skills and get closer, if archers can do it we can too!
Have fun and make smoke!
Sam A.

Back