Help for a newbie, multiple questions.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meatgetter

Reaction score
So, new to this, bought a Wolf V2 to try out things. Basically extending my deer season 2 weeks here in texas. Anyhow here’s what I got. Mainly cause it’s what I could find quickly or saw a lot of info for the combination of powder and projectiles in the Wolf.

Hornady BoreDriver FTX 290s
Aerolite Aerotip 250s
IMR whitehots 50gr pellets
Triple 7 Firestar 33gr pellets

Any Cons on any of these in combination? I hear the Aeros shoot well out of the Wolfs but then I see bad reviews on terminal damage.

Federal 209MZ muzzleloader primers.
(These we’re all I could find)
I have seen bad reviews on these and MZ primers in general. Will get some others when I can find them.

Been watching a lot of videos concerning consistency of cleaning for better accuracy. Any other recommendations to improve accuracy?

Are some saboted bullets more accurate than full bore? I would’ve figured not but more I look, I see things like the Hornady SST and other saboted bullets can be more accurate. What about the Thor bullets without the plastic vase that you use the sizing kit?

This new Front Loader hobby is over whelming. I can build a light and smooth and accurate AR or a clean Remington 700 with less anxiety than this lol

Oh yeah, centerfires are for children! 🤣

That’s a lot of questions. Plenty of answers here on this forum.

Only thing that jumps out at me when you ask about combinations is - don’t combine powders. Stick with one or the other. 100 ish grains of either of those with the bullets and primers you have should work to start.

That wolf should shoot about any bullet in the 200gr - 300gr pretty well on 100 grains of either pellets. I might try to find something other than those aerolites tho, Im not convinced that they're a good deer bullet. Better to used the BorLocs. Or find the regular or platinum powerbelts. Or the Traditions TPF or Traditions Plinkers or TC Cheapshots are usually easy to find and better bullets. Hornady sst is a fine bullet too. All will probably shoot very similar to 100 yards on 100gr pellets.

I agree, lots of info for someone new to ML. I'm fairly new myself, having just received my Optima V2 early December. I was able to get to the range and quickly develop a load that worked for the remaining few weeks of our season, which was Hornady 44 cal 240 grain XTP on top of 60 grains by weight of Blackhorn 209 and Federal 209A primer. I tried 60, 65, and 70 grains by weight before deciding 60 grains by weight worked best for me. I'm only hunting whitetail, with shots around here no more than 100 yards, with most probably within 50.

Anyway, as you'll read here, the combination that works for someone else may not work for you, you may have to tweak it some, which I think is where powder has an advantage over pellets, whether it be black powder or a black powder substitute. I reload ammo, so I am comfortable working with powder. If you decide to give powder a try, keep in mind that there is a difference in measurements by volume and measurements by weight, particularly for black powder substitutes. You can certainly use weight, which is what I do, but you just have to figure the conversion which isn't difficult. For instance, 100 grains by volume of BH209 is 70 grains by weight, a conversion of .7. If you go with BH209, you'll need the breech plug made for that powder, as well as a primer other than the one you used.

As for bullets, I too bought a bunch of different ones. I haven't shot the Aeros I have after reading reviews, but did shoot and develop loads for Hornady 44 cal 240 grain XTPs which get good reviews. The 44 and 45 cal XTP bullets are nothing more than pistol bullets in a sabot, so I purchased 100 each of the bullets and separately purchased 50 each of the Harvester green and black crush rib sabots.

In the course of the off-season, I plan on getting out and shooting a lot more, really dialing the combination I have in. Then I'll shoot the 45 XTPs to see where they land. I have been reading up on full bore bullets, and may try some of those out too, because that's what we as gun owners seem to do; amass a bunch of different things to try out, then eventually do a clean out and post most of it in a classified section of a forum 🤣

I believe the .44 240xtp in a green sabot is one of the universally best performing bullets in the CVA .50s. Seems everyone who shoots them says they are the most accurate bullet choice. Only reason I don't shoot them is because 95% of my guns are .45 cal.
I've been using 240xtp for a long time and I haven't seen a Cva .50 cal that wouldn't shoot em well. I've been using the black sabot in my Accura V2 Lr and it's a tack driver at 100yds! Most of my shots are under 100yds.

That wolf should shoot about any bullet in the 200gr - 300gr pretty well on 100 grains of either pellets. I might try to find something other than those aerolites tho, Im not convinced that they're a good deer bullet. Better to used the BorLocs. Or find the regular or platinum powerbelts. Or the Traditions TPF or Traditions Plinkers or TC Cheapshots are usually easy to find and better bullets. Hornady sst is a fine bullet too. All will probably shoot very similar to 100 yards on 100gr pellets.
I 2nd the BorLock. Dug this one (far right) out of a buck this year. The vitals were devastated. Dropped him where he stood at 50 yds.

Attachments

• 20230308_215412.jpg
    20230308_215412.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 0
I suggest that you put witness marks on your ramrod so that you know when the rifle is loaded/unloaded. I use blue tape for my Accura V2. I have had excellent results using Barnes 250 gr T-EZ bullets in front of 2 pellets of 50 gr T7. I believe that the primers that you have will be fine. I also don't believe that you will need magnum, 150 gr, charges in your rifle. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back