Help me love my knights....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoorsmen

Reaction score
I have a knight long range hunter and knight master hunter. Ii used to use T7 pellets and there was so much blow back through and around the breech plug it was just a total mess to clean. After sighting in I would have to take the stock off to clean out the trigger, and defeats the point of sighting in. Had I not cleaned I would get red dots of rust showing up on the stainless gun and scope rings. A few years ago I got the leigh plugs for both rifles but have not shot them. I have since been shooting t/c triumph and it has been night and day better in the cleaning. I'd rather shoot the knights cause I know they are, or should be, a higher class of rifle.
I no longer shoot T7, only BH209 now (and it still has limits on how long it can go before corrosion sets in).
So any advise?

So you have the Lehigh bare primer conversions but havent tried them?

My advice would be to try them with a Win209 primer.

Make sure that the primers are getting.003 or .004 crush when the bolt is closed. There’s a “ Stickey” at the top of the in-line section that explains the fix if needed.

I just started shooting a Knight Extreme, Lehigh bare primer conversion, W209 primers , its working good for me, dont hesitate to try it in your guns

Once you get the head space correct, game over. I struggled with black horn ignition before I got my primer crush and gave two cans away, I am pretty confident that it was the problem. I shoot 777 with zero blow back, as soon as I get some black horn I will be trying again . my guns were always filthy before, no more

All 5 older rifles i converted needed nothing other than the Lehigh conversion kit and a Win209.
52cal LRH
45cal Elite
50 Extreme
GMB 54-120
DISC 45 with Elite bolt

Chances are not too bad that is all you will need also. You dont even need to shoot them. If a Win209 gets a .003 crush (unfired) just closing the bolt on a primer, it will be nearly spotless when fired. A .005 crush is ideal. If you get over that try a Fed209A primer.

Lewis also has a video on how to do it by "feel" using just the bolt body. No internals. If the bolt handle is not going all the way into battery, the primer must be pressing against the breach plug. You want to use a Win209 for this because the OD fits the plug best. Other primers may get tight before reaching the bottom of the primer pocket.

This was SUPER Easy to do :lewis:

I shoot real Blackpowder Exclusively and i had ZERO issues with Blowback after the Above Modification to the New Lehigh Plug. Here are Primers after Shooting Sessions
AhX3yJwl.jpg

GJR2KIxl.jpg

The Breech of my Mountaineer after Shooting
Xs9Iugcl.jpg

Thanks for the info. I didnt know there could be a headspace issue. Like I said, since the leigh install I haven't shot the rifles. I need to make it a point to try these out now. I have w209 primers I will try.

I tried everything. even called Knight back in the day. They sent me a heavier plunger spring and it did not help. Depending on the load, sometimes the red jacket would pop out like a shell ejecting out of a semiauto. I know what you mean about the clean up. I have 3 Knights. Love to shoot them but dread the clean up. I actually ruined a good scope on my old MK85. Now I cover the bottom of the scope with painters tape before shooting. It keeps a lot of the blow back off but not all. I also own several stainless TC Omega's. No blow back on them and the clean up is like night and day. Not to mention they are far more accurate with a variety of different bullets where my Knights really only like one bullet/load combo. Love my Knights though and I would never sell any of them.
Dont think you will ever find a cure for the blow back but if you do, please pass it along.

Idaho,really love that one piece rail mount,Have a mountaineer with the 2 piece mount.Place and price please?

Thats a Murphy Precision 17-4 SS base. They are about $125 or $165 in titanium. I would make 1 suggestion with the Murphy....Call them first and see how much extra it would be for "extended" like the one they offer for a Rem700. The Rem extended version looks awesome.

https://www.murphyprecision.com/
2-Knight-ML-Silver-TOP-BOTTOM.jpg

2-Remington-700-SA-Ext-Silver-TOP.jpg

I shoot one disc extreme with a Bestill custom plug, and Blackhorn powder, its breech is spotless. My other disc extreme I shoot with a shimmer Knight bare primer plug and Winchester primers with Blackhorn and it is spotless in the breech after shooting too.

I'm not familiar with those plugs. Are they better then leigh?
The bestill plug is made by jeff bestill , a custom gunsmith/mz builder here on MM . Yes its a better bplug . The other one sounds like a factory knight plug thats modified , to what extent i cant tell by post . It has been tuned with shims for headspace and ???

Sideshow, some of the bare primer plugs need a tiny shim in the pocket to give proper head space is all.
Most of the Knights I have owned, the Lehigh plug worked pefectly with W209's.

Sideshow, some of the bare primer plugs need a tiny shim in the pocket to give proper head space is all.
Most of the Knights I have owned, the Lehigh plug worked pefectly with W209's.
Oh i know , guess i didnt say it quite right . Sorry !!! I just didnt know if it was drilled for a vent ?? Flash channel ??? That sort of thing as well .

Idaho,really love that one piece rail mount,Have a mountaineer with the 2 piece mount.Place and price please?

As GM54 said above, The 1 Piece Rail on my Rifle was a Stainless Murphy’s Precision 20 MOA Base, i paid 115 Bucks for it. And mine was Extended, i asked him to do so (Mine didn’t have the Undercut up front like the Remington) As you can see in the Photo here i had plenty of Room.

qq6DEyu.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back