Help Needed

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bear Claw said:
I was going to have Green River build me a Hawken. I was going crazy looking at KC's gun. I've wanted a proper Hawken since 1980 and I should have done it way back then when I had lots of money for guns.

So, I asked Buck about a gun being built. I misunderstood what GR was doing now. I thought it was the old company reopened and was making the stock from a blank and making the barrels etc. That doesn't seem to be the case. However, Buck pointed me to a TOW kit that a GR smith could build. It's pretty expensive to have built. I could do it, but it would take me a long time to save the money. Time isn't something I have a lot of anymore if I want to use the gun hunting.
GRRW.CA has access to some parts from the old GRRW inventory (many items were gathered by with the bank foreclosure team and disappeared). Years later some of those pieces were found in a warehouse in Roosevelt and Doc was contacted and purchased what was available once again.

When assembling the pieces needed for a build those parts have come in to use. In some cases there may be a piece that has the screws removed and new ones need to be supplied. Stocks, barrels and some of the little pieces are no longer from this source. So what Pete said isn't totally correct.

Parts cost are pretty much the same no matter the source as is labor if one does their research. You can get cheaper labor and usually will find that's the kind of build you'll received, not the quality you were expecting. It's that way with anything whether its custom leather pants or one's found in a clothing department (big difference).

conner said:
GRRW.CA has access to some parts from the old GRRW inventory (many items were gathered by with the bank foreclosure team and disappeared). Years later some of those pieces were found in a warehouse in Roosevelt and Doc was contacted and purchased what was available once again.
Now that is a warehouse I'd love to visit. Are they still there or were they moved?

Doc hasn't said where part of the inventory is, but told me there was over 1,000 GRRW barrels (that the bank took that had issues when made - at the time they were considered scrap). When Doc was contacted years later this was part of the old inventory that was offered as scrap with the first 6 inches from the breech forward was damaged. He figured out how to use these barrels by cutting off the bad end, re-breech them and use the barrels on one model of his in-lines White Rifles project. He has been building new rifles using his inventory as needed. He has more irons in the fire than anyone I have ever met.

Latest posts

Back