Help: Recommend a Turkey Shotgun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CZ makes nice over and under double if price is no object

#18 gm / cc TSS SHOT #71/2 to 9 shot.
Indian Creek - Black Diamond choke tubes.
Will make about any smoothbore a turkey gun capable of 40 +++ yd shot.
Most importantly whatever piece selected , pattern it.

Looking for some recommendations for a turkey hunting shotgun. Western public land hunting. I don’t frequent hunting-specific forums much, and I think I’ll get better advice from a fellow front-stuffer who also hunts turkeys.

I’ve decided on a 3 inch chamber, 12 gauge. Undecided on pump action or semi-auto. Restricted to 3 round magazine in my state.

Not looking for a no frills option, or top end either. Just a good mid, to upper mid-tier gun that is a good value for the money. Something like a CVA Optima. It’s not as nice as a Knight, or a Paramount, but it’s a lot of gun for the money (in my opinion).

Some sort of weather resistant coating or stainless would be nice.

Thanks for the input,

Buster

My vote would be for a good old Remington 870. It was my first shotgun and I still love it (I have two of them). One is a 28" and the other is a 18.5 ". I do have a Ruger OU that's nice but don't really like bashing thru the woods with it (it's kinda' heavy). For a good time take that pump out to a skeet range and practice with it for a while. Don't mind the stares from the high $$$ crowd.
Easy to clean/take apart/parts everywhere/common on the used market/etc.... My second choice would probably be the Mossburg 500 unless ya want to get something a bit more "tactical".

I hunted with a 12 ga Remington 870 pump for ever since I started hunting. Killed many of pheasant, grouse and turkey with it.
About 5 years ago I bought a Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag with a short 20'' barrel. The shorter barrel makes it easier for carrying through the woods and hunting in a blind. I shoot 3.5'' Winchester Long Beard XR's in #4 shot from it. I put an Indian Creek choke on it as well. It has no problem taking a turkey out to 50 yds.
My son now likes to use my old 870.
20170408_113403.jpg20180505_064502.jpg

Just pattern my Fulton Hunter 16ga s/s. Full choke great out to 50 yards and the Mod choke a killer out to 45 yards. No special ammo just 2 1/2" #5's.

Be safe hunting.

I agree with Hatchet Jack on the Mossberg 835. My receiver top was drilled and tapped for optics mount. Mounted a Bushnell 4X shotgun scope on it and that combination has worked well for me too.
If I get an opportunity to hunt waterfowl, I remove the the rings from the weaver style base and go. It might look odd but again it works for me.

Well I've never used a shotgun I use a 22 magnum had plenty of success close range or out there I can touch him

I've used the 12 gauge try it out some 3-in nitro magnums four shot wasn't for me killed on both ends so I went to a 22 mag

For a good time take that pump out to a skeet range and practice with it for a while. Don't mind the stares from the high $$$ crowd.
I gotta tell a story. When I was 25 or so I belonged to a hunting club. Saturday was a 6 event game day and started at 9AM. Well, I was out till about 4AM drinking and Johnny Walker was my specialty. I did awake in time to drive like a maniac to the club and arrived with just enough time to sign in and get out to the range. The first event was hillbilly skeet. I was using my favorite shotgun for birds (it still is). A Smith and Wesson 1000 semi in 20 gauge. ( Talk about looks from the money crowd) In hillbilly skeet you say pull and the guy has 30 seconds to throw it. Im a bird hunter and I always thought a shooter had plenty of time to shoot the skeet so I yelled pull with my gun ( which happened to be leaking BBs) at my side and holding a conversation with the guy next to me. I tied for first and in a shoot off won the event. Some not so happy shooters.

I went on to do the same thing in trap. I beat a guy with a 12 gauge. Again some not so happy shooters.

I won the next event and to this day still don't know what they called it. I was wearing out my welcome by this time.

Then the affects of the night before kicked in and I couldn't hit a barn from the inside.

Yeah, dont let anyone look down their nose at you because you shoot a thrifty gun. By a gun and learn how to use it.

Sorry, when Bbrown said don't mind the stares it just reminded me of that day. But they ate the crow while I took the prizes home.

That reminds me of the time I went to my gun club to watch a skeet shoot. Well, this one guy had a fancy over under 12 gauge shotgun with a high vent rib and did terribly. Then I saw this ole guy dressed in farmer overalls, with an old Winchester 12 gauge pump shotgun with just a bead as a front sight. Well while I was there he never missed a shot. I guess its true what they say about a guy owning only one gun as he probably knows how to shoot it. :drooling:

The only 150 straight I have ever ran in trap has been with a model 12. Not my citori, sx2, sx3, 870, sxp or bps. Go figure.

I am happy with my Mossberg 500 turkey special. It's just the right length for getting thru the woods without hanging the barrel on climbs and all camo helps with concealment. The 3X full choke helps hold a tight pattern out to 40 yards and it has a kick that makes one love the recoil pad on the butt when shooting 3" heavy turkey loads. In pattterning I have found Winchester turkey load in #5 shot to be the best for me.
I never liked the hi vis supplied sights so Mossberg supplied the Tru Glo red dot scope which is fine.
It also serves a 2nd purpose for me as a self defense weapo
I am happy with my Mossberg 500 turkey special. It's just the right length for getting thru the woods without hanging the barrel on climbs and all camo helps with concealment. The 3X full choke helps hold a tight pattern out to 40 yards and it has a kick that makes one love the recoil pad on the butt when shooting 3" heavy turkey loads. In pattterning I have found Winchester turkey load in #5 shot to be the best for me.
I never liked the hi vis supplied sights so Mossberg supplied the Tru Glo red dot scope which is fine.
It also serves a 2nd purpose for me as a self defense weapon.

View attachment 14324
A few loads that I patterned my turkey gun with....

20151129_113223.jpg

20151215_100050.jpg

20151215_100916.jpg

20151212_104359.jpg

Sorry this is Win #5x1 7/8 - 3" at 40 yards below"

20151215_102430.jpg

2015-12-25 14.38.44 (2).jpg

20151128_201740.jpg

Last edited:
To small a pattern???? Thats like too dead. No such thing for me. Another story.

I was calling crows one day with my Mossberg 500 with a turkey choke. I expected the shots to be long so was using 1 7/8 ounce number 4s. A crow got under the tree canopy and flew right at me looking for the call. He was about 10 yards from me when he disappeared. To my knowledge no part of that crow ever hit the ground except the feathers.

Last edited:
With the original question I have another way that you can go with this.
If the gun is for turkey hunting only what about an Encore barrel.
If you don't have a Encore frame, this might give you a good reason to buy one?

Mossberg 835
Burris FastFire III red dot
SumToy choke
Winchester Longbeard XR

Turkey and coyote killing combo

I used to have a 28 inch barrel for my 500A, it was a long range turkey killer. With the Remington 3 inch, 2×4 loads. My longest shot was about 60 yards.
I changed to a 24 inch barrel and have extended Undertaker choke tube. My longest shot with this setup was about 45 yards.
The 2 oz loads are getting harder to find these days.

My .02 USD from my life of hunting:

I got a Mossberg M500 as a birthday gift when I was 12 (in 1986). I used the M500 for years to shoot turkeys, ducks, pheasants, quail, etc. Rugged bare bones and inexpensive. I have multiple barrels for it and it can do a lot. Hard to beat one dollar for dollar. Its the gun I carry in my 2gun floating case as a back up... I've never needed it, but I've lent it out a few times. It uses Winchoke tubes. In the last 10 yrs I bought the M510 (410 clone of the M500) and another M500 in 20ga to train up my kids. They essentially all work the same: pumps with buttons that are all in the same spot. It's nice cause the youngsters just grab the bigger version as they grow. All are Rugged, simple, effective guns.

After the Mossberg, I upgraded to an Ithaca M87 just before I turned 30 (same as a M37 just made later). I preferred it to the Mossberg because it was lighter... just plain easier to carry all day. It's a bit more pricey, and harder to find parts extra barrels etc. I have a 20" smooth bore slug barrel that takes WinChoke tubes... I like the shorter barrel and the notch rear and glow triangle front sight for turkey hunting. I also have a 28" vent rib for it. Used the vent rib for ducks. My dad always used an Ithaca M37 for deer and pheasants when I was a kid. They call it a feather weight for a reason... only trouble is its so light, shooting a lot of 3" mags beats me up a bit. But it used to be my go to gun for turkey. I like the shorter barrel for getting in and around brush and obstacles. When hunting Turkey I use turkey (extra full chokes). When I hunted military bases for deer and was restricted to buck shot, I used a cylinder bore choke with Federal Flight Control Wad buck shot. Both have killed a bunch of animals (its not that big of a deal to have the shorter barrel). Beware that the earlier M37's weren't able to handle 3" mags... check out the receiver and barrel to make sure both can take 3" mags if you want to shoot them.

I bought my son a V3 Remington, he's all skin and bones and recoil shy. 26" barrel. Its Light, an autoloader, and even being super light (for an auto loader) its got super soft recoil... and it doesn't break the bank, will shoot whatever 2 3/4 or 3" shells you put in it (light loads, magnums, all cycle 100%). He loves it. Harder to find right now with the Remington Reorganization. These use the RemChoke (same as many 870's).

About 4 years ago I bought my self a Remington VersaMax just off of reading reviews on it. As far as shooting ducks, pheasants, or turkeys, its my go to gun. Swings right and points right for me. Super duper soft recoil (I like it's recoil better than the V3). The gun has 1000 shells through it without a single hiccup, though I clean it after about 100 - 200 shells through it... or after every hunting trip. I have out shot guys in trap with it who have all the fancy Italian single shot trap guns... (they'd come over and try to tell me how my gun or shooting style sucked and give advice... I'd show em my score card and ask to see theirs... when you are shooting 23's, 24's, and 25's consistently with your hunting gun and whatever #8's Walmart had cheap they tend to walk away... but I digress). The gun Cycles everything I've fed it (light trap, 3" mags steel and buffered lead for turkey, 2 3/4 steel, 3.5" Goose loads). I love it. It is my favorite shot gun. The Versamax uses ProBore Chokes (like a lot of Remington premium guns, and 1100's etc). Extra barrels for it are pricey, so I just use the 28" on everything... though I'd love to get a short barrel that takes chokes so I can get around the Turkey woods better. Took a jake with it near the end of last season. Like I said, its my favorite gun now, I used it for everything that needs a shotgun.

The only problem I've had with either autoloader is: when I shoot trap I have to put a shell catcher or rubber band on the loading port to not throw empties on guys to my right shooting fine grade Italian specials. They will get pissed if your auto loader throws shells on them or their gun.

Oh and the autoloader is a great advantage that spoils you: I lent the VersaMax to a friend to go duck hunting with his son... ended up going myself and grabbing a pump gun... kept forgetting to pump the next round cause I was so used to picking a duck, splashing it, and picking another duck and splashing it without having to go through the trouble of pumping. Just took me a little longer to limit out that day.

So if you want Benelli performance in an autoloader, with US made Remington prices, I'd suggest a VersaMax, (my son's V3 isn't bad either and My dad now shoots one on my recommendation) even if you never shoot 3.5" shells, the VersaMax will do it and isn't much heavier than the V3 and probably about the same weight as the Mossberg (just from my own feeling of swinging the 4 guns... i'm sure there are number and scales for those who wish to delve down to that level).

Last edited:
Can't beat Rem 870. I have a 20ga and 12ga both with screw in chokes. Use the 12 the most for turkey as I have a Turkey Extended Full choke with 22" barrel. Good out to about 70 yards.

Latest posts

Back