Help w/Extreme & TMZ load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outlaw45

Reaction score
I've got a new Knight Extreme that I've shot about 20 times. I'm just starting to find a good load for it. I tried some of the new 290 gr. Barnes TMZs with 100gr (2 pellets) of Triple 7 and the new Triple 7 primers. First shot was about 7 inches low. Second, third, and fouth shots were good. 2, 3, 4 shots group size was 2.25 inches.

The first shot was through a cold and clean barrel. Does this affect shot placement that much?

I thought my group size would be better. I know it's not a bench rest centerfire, but is 1 or 1.5 inch asking too much?

After each shot I run a 1 patch with solvent down the barrel, then 1 dry patch.

What am I doing wrong?

You may not be doing anything wrong Outlaw. As you know most guns perform with certain loads differently. That Extreme is a very good rifle. I don't think the first shot coming from a cold clean barrel affects things that much as long as it is dry and free of oil. I like to make sure all my range testing is from a cool and relatively clean barrel in order to duplicate the situation when I hunt. Very often a rifle will shoot differently when the barrel heats up. I wait until the barrel cools before shooting again. Like yourself I am not satified until groups are as small as I can get. Your wet patch then dry patch between shots should be fine. I spit patch once then turn it over and run the other side down and works fine for me. Consistancy is the rule there. The way to find a good load for your rifle is to experiment. Try loads that have shot well from same rifles or similar rifles. The Triple Se7en pellets are very convenient to use but are more expensive and don't offer much flexability. Loose powder does let you experiment and vary your load a little one direction or another. If you want to stick with the pellets try different bullets or bullet weights. Hornady SST/Thompson shock waves and Hornady xtp (not mag) pistol bullets are just two examples that have shot good out of my extreme in 250 gr weights. There may be other suggestions here though. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back