help w/pro hunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey guys i have a pro hunter thats not grouping good at all i have a bunch of 220 gr dead centers and woul like to stay with em if i can. gun wont shoot 150 gr of 777 pellets at all especially out at 100 yds any can anyone give me some tips thanks darrell :cry:

Probably over-driving your bullet. Drop down to two pellets or two 777 Magnum pellets (120 grs.) and try that.

Yep.. try dropping down to two pellets. Be sure to swab the barrel between shots. And keep in the back of your mind, the rifle might just not like that projectile.

You might want to get a pack of 250 grain Shockwaves and try them in your rifle as well.

If your gun doesnt like those bullets I would sugges 250 Ballistic Extremes from Parker... they shoot great in my Encore with 777 loose.

Could be that you gun don't like those bullets
could be that you are pushing them with to much powder
or it could be both .

try using only 2 50gr pellets

IMO - I would get some loose 2fg 777 start out with 80 or 85gr and work my way up to find out what shoots the best, and if they still won't group I would try some 250 or 275gr Parker EX. or some 200gr Shockwaves.

Ron G.

I know it's different from gun to gun but my PH doesn't like 3 pellets either. Dropped back to 2 and can cover the group (250 gr. SW) with a quarter. Want to try the magnum pellets for a little more velocity, but if accuracy goes down, back to what works.

Order "Maximizing your Muzzleloader" by Russell Lynch for $19.95 from the banner at the top of the page. It is geared towards the Encore muzzleloader and Mr Lynch was dissatisfied with his accuracy too in the beginning, but shows a 3 shot 100 yard group he shot with it covered by a nickel!

With every "new" Pro hunter owner I start out with 90.0 grains of 777 loose with the 200 grain shockwave. If that particular rifle will shoot the 200 gr shockwave it will produce a group between 95 and 105 grains of powder. It seems hard to fathom that just 5 grains of powder will make a difference BUT I assure you it does.

With the 250 gr shockwave we start with 95.0 grains of 777 and generally find a "group" before we hit 110.0 grains of 777 loose powder.

As "6X6" says wet (mouth wet) patch in-between shots and clean after 3 shots. And be sure you barrel is dry after cleaning.

Chocdog

I bought a video produced by Russell Lynch on "Maximizin Your Muzzleloader for Pin-Point Hunting Accuracy". With his Encore he uses 110gr of 7772F with 250gr T/C Shockwave bullet and gets one hole accuracy at 100 yds. He also cleans his bbl throughly between shots.

darrell waldrop said:
hey guys i have a pro hunter thats not grouping good at all i have a bunch of 220 gr dead centers and woul like to stay with em if i can. gun wont shoot 150 gr of 777 pellets at all especially out at 100 yds any can anyone give me some tips thanks darrell :cry:

I think everyone is on the right track here. Dead Centers generally don't like to be pushed as hard as say a SST/Shockwave/Ballistic Extreme. I'm betting if you'll drop down to two pellets it will shoot a LOT better.

I have a pro hunter shot it in for hunting using 200gr. SW and 90gr. of 777 ffg at 100 yds. was cutting holes . Going to work up a load this spring will let yall knew how i do . by the way killed two bucks 1 at 95 yrs.and 1 at 105 yds. i love the SW 200gr. :D :D :D

Latest posts

Back