Help with Dead centre Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sub-bases are not allowed by Savage. As for the loads, I already mentioned those-- 44 gr. 5744 / .40 / 50 260 gr., no luck with the duplex sabots.

So I should not use the sub bases? What do you mean not allowed. A little confused here.

POP said:
So I should not use the sub bases? What do you mean not allowed.

Any material between the bare, single sabot and powder is prohibited by Savage. Owner's manual free for the download from Savage Arms' website.

POP said:
So I should not use the sub bases? What do you mean not allowed. A little confused here.

I don't think I'd worry about it. The reasoning behind that (I believe) is that shooters will push their loads to the max and use a subbase to keep their accuracy. If your planning on staying well inside the limits you'd be fine. The same folks that say no subbases are using non recomended bullets and powders too. :roll:

Patrick White said:
If your planning on staying well inside the limits you'd be fine.

True enough, and you also won't need sub-bases. Losing the orange PR Bullet sabot, replacing it with the BLUE MMP .40 / 50 gave me the best results-- clearly.

Like anything else-- that's Savage Arms' published rules. They can hardly control people that purposely ignore their rules, nor can any muzzleloading manufacturer for that matter.

The same with reloading in general-- only you can determine what your handload becomes.

IS this the best spire point bullet for MLs?
Thanks
ziton

ZITON said:
IS this the best spire point bullet for MLs?
Thanks
ziton

IMO the SST/Shockwave is so far. That could change with the new Barnes but am concerned about the boat-tail though.

Well, maybe with my disc elite the boattail will not be as big of an issure.
It would help if the would make some available! :roll:

POP said:
I just bought a few 40 cal 260 gr and 357 cal 195 gr Dead centre bullets. I will be loading them with the magnum sub bases in my SAVAGE MLII. What are some loads you guys had luck with?

http://www.bpbullets.com/dead%20center% ... html#ready

The 260grn DC is a proven bullet in the Savage. As a matter of fact it's in the DVD Randy and Henry Ball made for the Savage. I believe with out the sub-base you will find that the bullet shoots the best with 41grns of 5744.

As far as the sabot, the Blue sabot is alot better shooting in hot weather. In cool weather i see no difference in the sabots. Both sabots are MMP sabots. And both work very well.

As far as the 195grn DC. I will be surprised if you even get it to shoot. I would say a sub-base would be a must with that bullet. I believe SW can provide you with some loads for that bullet.

RandyWakeman said:
Like anything else-- that's Savage Arms' published rules. They can hardly control people that purposely ignore their rules, nor can any muzzleloading manufacturer for that matter.

I cant believe you posted that. :lol: :lol:

Grouse said:
POP said:
I just bought a few 40 cal 260 gr and 357 cal 195 gr Dead centre bullets. I will be loading them with the magnum sub bases in my SAVAGE MLII. What are some loads you guys had luck with?

http://www.bpbullets.com/dead%20center% ... html#ready

The 260grn DC is a proven bullet in the Savage. As a matter of fact it's in the DVD Randy and Henry Ball made for the Savage. I believe with out the sub-base you will find that the bullet shoots the best with 41grns of 5744.

As far as the sabot, the Blue sabot is alot better shooting in hot weather. In cool weather i see no difference in the sabots. Both sabots are MMP sabots. And both work very well.

As far as the 195grn DC. I will be surprised if you even get it to shoot. I would say a sub-base would be a must with that bullet. I believe SW can provide you with some loads for that bullet.
The DCs can be extremely accurate in the 10-ML2 , 45 cals, and the 50cal SMI. With normal Sav recommended powders 2100'/sec is about max but with slower powders providing gentler acceleration down the barrel I have had great accuracy to 2300'/sec and haven't tried any faster. Believe it or not, I do not need sub bases to get these bullets to shoot well. If interested please PM or e-mail me.
Steve

Latest posts

Back